Is it easy to get famous thru film?

I've s33n alot of shit movies, how do the directors and scriptwriters get things made just like that??

LOOK at UWE BOLL his site was hacked into cuz he sux so bad (house of the dead, alone in the dark) absolutly horrid movies.

The producers must be retarded too.

I know a guy who knew some people.
He drank with them a few times and hooked up with a musical artist. The artist hooked him up with a production company. He "Ed Wooded" (smooth talked) his way into directing a series of 4 videos.
He hasn't shot any of them yet but here's where it's at:
He's going to Jamacia and getting paid for it.
People are talking about him as "a new up-and-coming director" even though he hasn't shot a scene for ANYTHING.
He has NO experience AT ALL.

This made me VERY MAD. But I guess sometimes it's just about who you know. Hollywood is full of inside crap like that. someone knows someone who hooks someone up with someone else to shoot something which makes money because someone else knew someone who owed someone a favor. It's stupid. That's why the independant world of film is much more fun to be in- everyone is do or die, and with those stakes, you find a lot more creativity.

yeah the big bad business world has me a little freaked out and slightly annoyed (ok a real humungo-giant-sized annoyed)
i read a book on James Dean once and it described the way he had to get into the movie business (it scared the crap outta me!!!!) It was all about the Hollywood casting couch and how you could be the most talented actor out there, but if you weren't... uh... putting out, they wouldn't give you the light of day.
Now i'm not sure how true this is, nor do i want to become an actor. But i seriously hope i won't subject myself to anything demeaning for the sake of a job

indeed as an audience member it is very simple to say this sucks or that sucks but until you make a film you have no idea how hard it is to do so.

In that regard, it is easy to see why filmmakers who make projects are often respected, those who make good ones are buzzed about, and those who make successful ones are hot items. Anything that falls inbetween is possible, but people who get attention after finishing no product that deserves to be buzzed about in any way is rare. Ive never heard of someone being hyped for having done nothing. Except maybe in the movie the Hudsucker Proxy.

The easy quick answer is, because the studio that produces the film thinks it will make money. And I'm sorry to say that most of the time those shit movies do make money.

So someone out there is getting "money for nothing"? Perhaps all of Uwe's films were made on German tax incentives (if anyone has read that Slate article). One thing I have definitely noticed is that filmmakers that get features made are also good politicians, in that they can raise money and sell themselves - this is often apart from any actual talent that they may have. Also, any film named "Alone in the Dark" will make money because it is based on a successful video game, so they are just basically printing money - he could have shot the camera at a blank wall for two hours. Let not the ravages of professional envy gnaw at thee, in caseth you areth as lucky someday :cool:

Last edited:
I think if it was easy to get famous making films everyone here would be famous by now. There is no shortage of either talent or dedication here.

This is an odd business and making a high quality piece of drama is no guarantee that you'll make any money in this game (He said bitterly)

On the other hand, just because a film stinks that's no guarantee that it won't do business.

It's all irrelevant though, because anyone who completes a movie and get's distribution for it is automatically a God/Goddess amoungst men/women, simply because that stuff is hard. It difficult enough to complete a bad film, but to do that and get some money back on it, that's an art.

Personally I think the best way to find out how hard this is, is to write a feature lenght screen play and then get some actors to read it out. I guarantee that you'll cring at how awful your script sounds (not because I think you can't write, but because to write a screenplay that doesn't bite is very, very, very hard)

clive said:
Personally I think the best way to find out how hard this is, is to write a feature lenght screen play and then get some actors to read it out. I guarantee that you'll cring at how awful your script sounds (not because I think you can't write, but because to write a screenplay that doesn't bite is very, very, very hard)

I've been at it for seven years now. Still haven't written anything that's all that good. Haven't gotten actors to read any of them. That would probably be a good idea.

I think most all directors who get a chance to direct a movie (in the studio system) are good. But many factors go into whether a movie is good or not -- not the least of which is subjectivity.

I think nothing gives you a feel for a script quite like having a read through. It's a painful experience but it really helps edit out the dialogue you don't need.

The other thing is that you don't have to be a great writer to make films, I know any number of writers, myself included, who would more than happy to write and develop scripts for other people. Providing there is a fee for the work.

I've always believed that if you don't enjoy writing, a person would be better putting their writing time into earning some money to pay someone who does.

Just a thought.

Oh, no, I love writing, and in fact only have interest in writing, not the technical aspect of filmmaking (a couple months working as a PA quickly taught me this).

I actually have a copywring job to pay myself for writing. I think I just have pretty high standards for what good is. If I wrote what I've written now seven years ago, I'd think it was amazing. I consciously try and never be satisfied with my work. I've had too many experiences where I think I've written something outstanding, then had it ripped apart.

Well, producers and film companies are businesses, and although you'd hope that they'd carry a bit of artistic integrity, their primary goal is profit. Has anyone ever looked at the script for Titantic before!? And how popular was that film? You know, really anything produced by Jerry Bruckheimer also carries this trait -- he gets a script with a mild variation from his last film, and calls up his buddy Michael Bay to direct. The result -- a film that grosses $100 million +

I guess the best thing to do is not let it get to you too much, just keep on doing what you're doing.

Oops, forgot to introduce myself. Call me Jamie, and please recommend good films to me.

I moved to LA a while ago to get into this business, and I'm crossing my fingers, laugh.

MrLeftCoast said:
Oops, forgot to introduce myself. Call me Jamie, and please recommend good films to me.

I moved to LA a while ago to get into this business, and I'm crossing my fingers, laugh.

Pulp Fiction (Quentin's definate best(hes starting to piss me off now) g00d dialogue, very non-linear, never know what scene might come next!)

Reservoir Dogs (Another great Q flick. He ripp3d off the story and built on it, from J w00's City of Fire)

Mean Steets (Martin Scorsese's first collabration with Robert Di Nero. Budgeted, but not bad, no plot :S)

Taxi Driver (My favorite Scorsese film, not even nominated, fuck the academy, Martin rules, so does Di Nero)

Raging Bull (Each time u watch it, it gets better and better)

SubUrbia (damn warner bros wouldnt release dvd, i caught it on TV)

In America (beautiful filM)

Stuck on You (actually pretty damn g00d!)

Chinatown (early polanski film, i think b4 he decided to rape a 13 year old girl and run to europe =))

On The Waterfront (" It was YOU Charlie")

Dumb and Dumber (my fav comedy EVER)

Ararat(just because i like system of a down, and they happend to play their song during a sex scene, everybody wins)

Thanks, although I typically don't see Dumb and Dumber beside those other films you listed...it's a guilty pleasure of mine, too, hilarious.

Back