decisions decisions

film school:to go or not to go that is the question

What's up everybody. I'm new here and was hoping I could get some opinions on film school. I'm in the process of deciding where I want to go to school and I know I want to work in film. Is film school necessarily the best choice to get my foot in the door? If so in your opinions which are the better one's? Even though I don't have quite the technical experience I need I do have a passion to make movies. I'm just trying to start off on the right foot. thanks.

sean

Last edited:
The wide world of film schools

Its really hard to pick a film school, and they rarely provide jobs. I just got out of the New York Film Academy not to long ago and it was an amazing experience. It's all technical though. Most of the film industry is just who you know. I too have the drive, but its a flooded market and really hard to get a head start. :no:

But don't let that discourage you. You might not get employed for some time, but thats just how the industry is. There are a lot of opportunities in New York and great places that you can film at for free. Four year schools are fine, but I don't believe they teach you how to get into the business any better then NYFA. Oh, and if no one else teaches you this, people push shorts (for festivals) as a way to brake in. Their not. The world of a short and that of a feature are worlds apart. A decent feature shot on digital will get you ten times as far as an amazing short shot on 35mm.

If you want to know anything else, I'll try to check back often.

When do you need to decide by? If you have a while hang out here and ask questions. You will be sure to learn a lot! IMO, this is an area that can be pretty much self taught. Film school is mostly important because you can talk with some pros. The thing is, you can do that right here at indietalk!

Shorts are a good way to gain experience without breaking the bank. That's their main benefit I think. One day you will want to take on a feature and when that happens by all means do so! It's just rather costly to make all the normal mistakes when shooting a feature.

manjoe

hey man just wondering where you attended the new york film academy. I have looked at that school but the only downside is I haven't won the lottery yet so that thousand dollar deposit is kind of a bummer. also what are you working on now. do you work and then spend the rest of your time on film? I know film school isn't the best way to get into the industry I'm wondering how to balance a job and work on my film making at the same time. I guess networking and working with other people probably plays a big role in that. even though I know I want to work in film it's hard to take those first few steps. anyway thanks for your guys imput. every little bit helps.

sean

Well

hey man just wondering where you attended the new york film academy. I have looked at that school but the only downside is I haven't won the lottery yet so that thousand dollar deposit is kind of a bummer. also what are you working on now. do you work and then spend the rest of your time on film?

I attended it in NYC. Yeah, film school costs a lot, but I think its worth it. If your in NYC, you can try craigslist.com and work as a PA for a while. Just by hanging around on a set and asking question between takes (not while their working) is also a tremendous help. Either way it usually takes months if not years not get a paying position. Well I just graduated a couple of weeks ago so I've been applying for internships and looing at places which can be flexible lie blockbuster.

Film school is mostly important because you can talk with some pros. The thing is, you can do that right here at indietalk!

Talking to pros is only good when it comes to theory. You can't learn any grip, gaffing, loading, pulling focus, or any of those other on-set skills through Q&A. And no one starts out as a director unless you are paying for it all.

Film school is much more then talking to pros. In the first two months I made 4 of my own shorts, and was on 12 others, if not more. NYFA is all about learning it first hand and make most of your mistakes before you go out into the industry. Film school also helps you decide what you want to really do and what you CAN do. Everyone came to film school wanting to be a director. Now my friends are pursueing things like producing, gaffing, cinematography, art design, and I myself have found the comforts of post. I think thats the best reason to go to a film school or some training. I don't know of anyone who bypassed film school and just went the PA route, but it could happen.

Oh, and be cool to everyone. You never know who's going to make it big enough to offer you a paying job.

That's my 25 cents worth.

Excellent points. I should say film school provides interaction with pros that you can't get from making short movies at home. Both types of study are certainly required! I'm not advocating skipping film school nor am I advocating going. I just think there are lots of ways to dabble in film, giving you a chance to learn and see what you like, without paying lots of money. If you are 100% certain that this is what you want to do film school could very well be worth every penny.

I said to be cool to everyone because I have this thing that just happened to me.
I was applying for an internship and by mistake he had replied to mine with an e-mail from a classemate that almost none of us liked. And I told him this. And when he asked about her, I really didn't say much so he recieved the information through my silence.

no no no, you totally missed the point

Its a tough world out there, so if you have a chance to stab an enemie in the back, then do so. I make very few enemies though.

oh ok sorry I was a bit confused by your story. I don't want to purposely screw someone though. If someone is asking for it then they get what they deserve, but I would think that I would want to make as many friends as possible, especially for a farely new filmmaker like myself. I do see what your saying though.

Back