CrISES... Help"!?

I feel depressed, detached and excluded by everyone. My family are out doing their own thing and they never seem lonely because they have a partner. My so-called mates are out tonight and didn't even ask me to come with them. Instead, I am now at home, by myself, on the internet, when everyone that I have tried to call is out. I know I will be famous one day though, and then everyone will make it their business to know me. This is why I must work hard and get to the top of my field, thereby achieving recognition, respect and ultimately glory. Once I am famous everthing will change! they're all actually a joke... let them enjoy themselves. They'll wanna have my attention someday soon, and it'll be too late. I would have moved on!

Hey Gavin,

If you seek glory it will be hard to find. Even if you do manage to become famous, rich, powerful, what good will it do? People will want to get to know you not because they actually *like* you but rather it's a boost to their ego, they hope to gain recognition by being around you. If anything your feelings of being alone will intensify.

If you truly want to be happy, you need to forget yourself and serve others (via film or by any means). It's counter intuitive, perhaps, but it most certainly works.

Just my .02

happiness comes from the unification of self/other. its a bond. i agree with Shaw, forget yourself (as a seperate entity) enjoin yourself with the other. Its all about the fusing.
life is too limited to live it as a single unit (an individual) so we spend all our energies on trying to somehow become more than that one unit. it can be through a relationship, through a team sport, through film etc....
the channels through which we may travel are limitless in this plural world
oh, and Shaw, that two cents mate, in my opnion it was priceless

Grow Up!

Shaw said:
If you truly want to be happy, you need to forget yourself and serve others (via film or by any means).

Are you serious?!
"Serving Others"? (Ridiculous!)

I'm sorry, I thought this was the IndieTalk board and not a "helpline".

Grow up and make films if that is what you really want to do!
Be yourself! Stop being a sheep and even caring what anyone else thinks!

If you have what it takes, you will win, if you don't, you will lose.

I know, that sounds cold, but that is life.
Be a competitor, or step aside!

-HAWKEYE

Absolutely right!

And if "yourself" is a whiner that needs constant support from others to feel better about yourself then you should "check" yourself.

The "weak" will NOT inherit the earth.

If you can't find the answers inside yourself, then you won't find them outside yourself.
Success is a matter of personal perception.
There are those among us who will never accomplish anything, they only live from day to day on the "assurance" of others.

-HAWKEYE

The "weak" will NOT inherit the earth.

Now lets be clear. I did not suggest being weak! I suggested that thinking about yourself and how you have oh so many problems isn't going to work and can be combated by serving others around you, by getting up and doing things. It gets your mind off of your problems and often puts them in a much clearer perspective.

Nowhere did I say do not be a competitor! Forget yourself and go to work may be a better rendition of what I'm trying to say.

Thanks for the comment Nique.

healthy?

thanks u have all been very helpful. Recently i have been working loads, no-stop, on my own film, which is quite a lonely feeling. I edit on a mac and film on mini dv, and i don't use a crew. I make some interesting stuff and I feel a certain satisfaction when i finish a film, but at the same time i feel that when i work alot i am sometimes doing it to avoid my problems in real life, or in an effort to try to make something of my life, to take me somewhere else better than where i am now - i dont know if this is healthy :(

Well, only you can provide those answers :). You may be right or you may be wrong - we don't know enough about you and your situation to make judgements or declarations.

"Advice is a dangerous gift even from the wise to the very wise and all courses may run ill"

Gavin,

Please do feel to trust me on this one...
NO-ONE'S life is easy! Hell, life isn't easy!

Dare I say that no-one on this board can really explain why we make films.
There is no ONE right or wrong answer to that question.
Not quite rhetorical, but still a question without a right or wrong answer.

I know that MY personal life has not been an easy one. This is the truth.
But, I do know that I derive a sense of self-satisfaction from not only completing a film, but working on one, that I cannot compare to anything else.

It is also important to point out that for me, I don't produce, direct and edit films for anyone but myself. Films/videos are my medium of art and expression.
To suggest, as others have that satisfaction and happiness can be found in setting oneself aside and toiling for others is ludicrous.

Doing for others is a wonderful ideal, but losing oneself in the process is tantamount to suicide.

I suppose the bottom line is this... Love yourself, love who you are and love what you do.
Don't let others be the yardstick by which you "judge" yourself.

It's all a matter of perception, and each and everyone of us view life individually.
If you are truly not hurting anyone else or yourself, then there is nothing wrong.

Keep going Bro! Keep making films!
I want to see your work!

-HAWKEYE

Gavin,

Just like Nique, you're a breath of fresh air. Regardless of this being first and foremost, a flimmaking forum, your OT posts are a welcome diversion from the shop talk. I have to agree with Hawkeye that 'life is sorrowful' but that's why we can fully appreciate those 'sparks of light' when they do happen and they DO. I also agree with Shaw (wise beyond his years), that we are born to be 'in the service of others'. That's not an inference to indentured labor and the such, but the realization that by 'serving others' you truly serve yourself...it's a weird paradox...serving another turns out to be quite selfish indeed. Now...I'm gonna have some Bailey's and my neighbor better damn well join me:D

By serving others, karma will return the service. Believe in Karma. Trust in Karma. Be Karma.
If you live peacefully and harmoniously, you give off a vibe of light. If you live destructively and negatively, you give off darkness. People subconciously read these "vibes". If you're a good person (and you sound like one), you must live without expectations (hope instead) and eventually, your wishes will be granted.
Serving others is something that helps everyone, including yourself.
Now go make yourself a turkey sandwich and reflect on life. Try researching some ancient religions. There's all sorts of cool fun things to do in life- just not enough time to do them all.

-Logan-

bird, you are far too kind. I'm stumbling around in the dark as much as anyone (if not more so!)

To suggest, as others have that satisfaction and happiness can be found in setting oneself aside and toiling for others is ludicrous.

As I mentioned, it's only my 2 cents :). I do think we need to separate happiness from success though. You can be plenty successful and not be happy (and vice-versa). It is indeed a good idea to be sucessful. Who wouldn't want to be?

For me at least, seeing the look on a little kids face after you have done something special for them (or any similar analogy) is worth more than gold. It makes me happy. This isn't to say that you should never do anything for yourself and should be timid and subserviant. That's not the point at all. It is, however, quite possible to be bold and confident without feeling the need to hack and slash other people so you can get to the top.

After all filmmaking is all about people isn't it (or it should be anyway)? It's all about finding a good balance in my opinion (which I don't expect all to share - that's why it's just my opinion!).

There is a phenomenon that occurs with crabs when you put them in a bucket. They all try to get out (as would be expected). However, due to their territorial nature they pull each other down intentionally - the end result being that no one gets anywhere and nothing is truly ever achieved.

Just some random thoughts.

Indie, I hope this thread is ok (and thus my posting in it). I know we like to keep Indietalk about film as much as possible. I love the atmosphere here on site and would hate to be part of the problem.

Back