Super 16mm Camera Question

Alright, so I'm thinking about buying a Super 16mm Eclair ACL (converted from 16mm). It has crystal sync as well as an up to 75fps motor. It comes with two 400' magazines, lens, flight case, and some extras. The price it was offered to me at was $3,750. It was recently (March) checked out/cleaned, etc. by a place in LA. My question is:

A. Is this a good camera to use?
B. Is this a good price?

I've been passed over before for work because I had never used or didn't have at least a 16mm/Super 16mm camera.

Any help/information is greatly appreciated.

Jerboa,

You said you've been passed over for jobs because you've, "never used or didn't have at least a 16mm/Super 16mm camera". Are you familiar with shooting film? If not, you might want to consider renting a S-16 package before you commit almost 4 grand to equipment. If you want to purchase the Eclair, at the very least run some test rolls through. Yes, Eclairs are good cameras. Good luck!

The ACL is a decent little camera. They aren't as sturdy as the Eclair NPR or an Arri SR, but they can take some abuse. I'm not saying they're fragile. That price is pretty good. A Super-16 ACL usually start at $4500 and up. I would check to if it's a French made or British made ACL. Supposedly the French made one were better. Also, what kind of mags does it come with? 400ft or 200ft? Also, does it come with a lens?

If you pass on this deal, let me know because I'm in the market for a Super-16 package. I own an Arri SR package, but it's standard 16mm and would like to expand my frame.

Scott

Thanks for the help/information.

Scott: It's 400' mags, French and it comes with the Angenieux zoom lens.

Does anybody know if this camera has some kind of special mount on it that only fits one type of lens, like some cameras I've looked at have, or can I use different lenses with this camera?

Also, this is going to sound ridiculous, but how exactly does the syncing work with audio and these cameras? Since I've never used one of these, I don't know.

Can this camera be used for shorts and music videos? I don't want to invest in something that I'm not going to be able to use for anything.

Bird: He's going to let me run it a little bit to test it out. I was going to go the rental route to learn a little more, but the cheapest place around here quoted me at about $1,500 for 3 days, which I would rather put toward the purchase of a camera rather than a rental if it's coming out of my own pocket.

if you've got the $$ buy it. with the Angenieux lens and 400' mags I'd say that's a steal. Even if it were to need a bit of work, like a good professional cleaning or what have you.. definately a worth while buy.

Most Arris SRs can be modified to shoot Super-16, but the cost is around $4500. Plus I'd have to get new lenses, so the costs can get steep.

Regarding syncing, with any film camera you have to use an external sound recorder (Nagra, DAT or mini-disc). You use a slate with a clapboard to sync the sound later in post by matching the sound of the clapboard hitting with the picture of it hitting.

You sound too inexperienced to buy this camera and you should really pass on the deal and send me to guy's contact info so I can buy the camera....Just kidding. It's a great deal if the camera works well. Seriously, if you can't buy the camera, let me know.

Good luck.

Scott

$4500 is the cheapest Arri SR conversion to Super-16 I've seen. The rates vary with each camera. Aaton LTR is as cheap as $1200. Elcair ACL is $2400. These are prices I found at Visual Products. The $4500 is a rate I kind of remember for PS Techniques out of Germany. Visual Products wants $6500 for the the Arri SR conversion. You have to remove things, an re-align them, replace the gate and do modifications to the magazine. Is it worth it at $6800? For me it would be tough. I could can find an SR 2 already coverted for around $14,000 on Ebay.

Scott

Back