creative inspiration!

I have an interest in films, but I am also an artist, in the fine art sense. I have to fill a room with something for an art exhibition. It can be filled with anything, for people to come and look at? got any ideas? It's really important, i'm stressing about it. In other words, if you had the use of an empty room, what would u do or put in it? thanks.

Well, here's a few suggestions, in my own bizzarre world of suggestions:
-Music: adds flavor to whatever you are showing... pick maybe a few songs that inspire you during your creative process and have them playing in the exhibit.
-Video: If you can, get a projector to play something that either:
a) goes with the music, and loops. It's real artsy-fartsy. People will feel undermined by genius if you use film as a medium.
b) whatever you like really.
-Decorate: I would make the room the "show" itself. Put your paintings around, but have the room come alive with them, by throwing decorations that deal with your paintings all around
-Theme: Come up with a theme that decribes you. Maybe you're a creepy guy who lives in a basement. Transform that room into a creepy basement dwelling. Use furniture as part of the theme.

Here's an example scenario with all the above:
A small room (bachelor apartment). The TV is on, and it is playing a repeated image of color bars, flashing with the face of whoever inspires you. There is ambient trance music in the background, and a fog machine lightly sprinkling the room with shallow fog. There is an ashtray filled to the brim in the center, and paintings of yours are scattered on the floor, hanging on the walls crookedly, broken in half, or in the garbage. There are glasses of water everywhere, symbolizing your attempts to purify youself. The single lightbulb dangling from the ceiling is slowly moving, casting shadows everywhere. On the door to the room (if there is one), there is a sign saying: "Work in Progress"

That's my idea, but you can come up with your own from that!!! Art is the expression of an individual, so put your own spin. Try to immerse the audience into your own world! And above all- have fun doing it. That's what makes art great- you get to have fun and HOPEFULLY get paid for it eventually!!

-Logan-

I'm gonna try that. Thanks alot for ur advice. So do you think I should create a set that projects my inner most feelings, almost to symbolise what i'm feeling? or I may just do what u say. any other suggestions>?

Well, don't JUST do what I'm saying, cause that would be me, not you. Take your own life, experiences, thoughts, feelings, and then pick your favorite color.
Once you have all those listed, start making ideas, or just paint. Mine was symbolic of what I was feeling at that moment.. you have to put your own IDENTITY into your work. Make it scream out your name! Then people will be like, "Oh my! This young chap is quite an interesting fellow! Maybe we should give him some money! Yes, that would be grand! Grand? Let's give him 10 grand!! WAHAHAHAH!" (or somethign like that)

-Logan-

first things first, Welcome Gavin!
second - i would fill half the room with 1foot tall paper mache David Beckham dolls.
the other half with flowers
i would have my voice playing in the background:
'BAD TO HAVE A BAD FLOWER....PAIN IS A FLOWER....EVIL IS A BECKHAM....BAD TO HAVE A BAD MAN...PAIN, PAIN OF A FLOWER.....EVIL IS SPRUNG....FLOWERS SPRING.....'
etc.

Last edited:
Hmmm... What would I fill a room with?....
Loaded question, loaded answer!

Ok... I'l l stop here!
What is the art of filmmaking if it isn't "fine" art?

'nuff said!

-HAWKEYE
(Filmmaker AND ARTIST)

Back