In Search of the PERFECT CAMERA

Hi, everyone! I am, as stated in my first post, a new filmmaker with 3 LAME-O and one OK film under his belt, and I noticed something: my semi-good movie, "The Un-Incredibles", is VERY GRAINY and the colors look "dead!" I also noticed that the wind sounds like a rockslide. Not to mention the horrible zoom function of the camera.

So, anyway, I want to know what camera would be best for HIGH QUALITY VIDEO. Please help me out, guys! Oh, yeah, my price range is, basically, anything below 1 grand.

Much appreciated!

Well how much do you have to spend? You can go from several hundred up to 200,000 USD :).

Post some stills if you don't mind! Maybe some of us can give you some tips for improving the footage in post.

You're not going to find a "perfect" camera for under $1000. There might be a camera out there that you would find perfect, but chances are it's a high-end prosumer cam that costs ~$5000. For high quality audio, you want XLR connections, which typically only come standard on such cameras (like the Sony PD170 and Canon XL2). You can buy an XLR adapter from a company like Beachtek, but you're still working off the same 1/8" minijack, so... you'll also need to invest in a good mic, which can run upwards of $300. Note that no matter which way you chose to go, the onboard mic on any camera will not capture very good audio, so an external mic of some kind is probably a must. There are different types, ranging from hotshoe mics, to standard plug-in mics, to XLR boxes and professional XLR shotgun mics, with the cheapest (non-XLR) being around $100.

Moving on. The camera... you'll probably want to consider a 3CCD camera. Again, in that price range your options are limited. Panasonic makes a nice range of cheap 3CCDs, but these are obviously consumer cams, not prosumer models, and designed mostly for home movies, not films. Not to say they don't work, people have had great success with them, but they're not geared towards that area. Once more, the prosumer cams that you would probably consider "perfect" are up between $3000-5000.

Depending on your situation, saving your money and renting equipment might be your best option. Check out prices and availability nearby?

Otherwise, take a look at the Panasonic PV-GS250 and the Canon Optura 40. Those are, I'm told, the best consumer cams on the market (in your price bracket) in terms of video quality, and have been quite popular for filmmaking.

Good luck.

Back