Set Building Question

I'm looking to build a faux wall for a set inside a house. Does anybody know how much drywall costs and where it can be purchased in a small quantity. Everything I've come across takes only large orders or doesn't post prices. I know it's kind of a strange question, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Drop by your local Home Depot (or equiv store). You can pick up sheets of drywall singly. It won't cost a lot.

Here's a calculator to figure out how many panels you'll need: Home Depot Drywall Calc

Edit: Most odd. The link doesn't seem to go directly there. Just type Drywall Panels into the search-box on the site... it brings up the link to the calc.

Last edited:
Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes.. of the three there should be one near you. All of them should have small quantities of drywall available to you, at a reasonable price.. probably a few dollars per sheet.

If you want a drywall look, you don't need to use drywall. You can frame the wall with 2x3's, face it with luan, and then skimcoat it to make it smooth. Then, you will need to tape the seams, and paint.

If you decide to use drywall, you should use 3/8" drywall because it's light. You should also use 2x3 aluminum studs and tracks. You will need tin snips to cut the aluminum.

With either solution, you will need to finish the wall as if it's dryall. You will need someone who has taping skills.

The fine folks at home depot (and I believe Lowes) are generally more than happy to teach you how to do the taping and such... at least that's their big 'claim to fame'.. :)

Back