Wes Anderson

..Dunno if there's a topic about him already.. so I thought I should start one.

So what do you think of him? Of his films?

I just saw 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' & absolutley loved it... buuut my favourite film of his is by far 'The Royal Tenenbaums'.

So tell me what you think damnit! Don't just sit there!!

Haha.. what's your favourite? or do you hate the guy? Just tell me. k?

I think Bottle Rocket is still my favorite. It's the simplest, and therefore most realized of his films, I think. Though I've always loved Rushmore, and have come around to like the Royal Tennebaums very much (at first viewing, i saw it as too much of a film rather than a story, but upon further viewings that sense has disappeared for the most part).

I haven't seen Life Aquatic, but will once it's out on video.

I think Bottle Rocket is my favorite, and Rushmore is right behind. I like all of his movies, but those two are much better than Tenenbaums and I still need to see Life Aquatic...

I really like Anderson, and I'm sure that his movies will influence filmmakers in the industry, because they have that certain quirkiness that's unique...Infact, I thought I Heart Huckabees had a lot of Andersonesque qualities, so maybe his influence is already spreading.

I'll echo the sentiment that Bottle Rocket is his best film. I will say this though, BR was such a breath of fresh air for me that his films are always going to pale in comparison.

I will also echo the sentiment that on first viewing I soured on The Royal Tenenbaums, but after reading the script and seeing it again, I warmed to it. I went into The Life Aquatic knowing that a) nothing Anderson does will ever be as "new and exciting" to me as BR was, and b) that at first viewing his films can come off as boring and underdeveloped. So, it worked for me on first viewing.
I loved the attack of the pirate's Island...go Mothersbaugh!!!

Poke

I think Wes Anderson is a wonderful voice in indie (or quasie-indie? studio?) filmmaking. I haven't seen "life aquatic" yet, but loved Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, and Royal Tennenbaums. I read that Bottle Rocket was originally a 10min short that screened at Sundance. Hope yet for the short filmmakers!

It was a 13 minute short, and I don't know if it screened at Sundance or not, but the big break was when James Brooks saw the short and in turn saw the potential in the young filmmaker.

Poke

Back