• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

blood squibs

hey ive looked everywhere on the net to find out how to make squibs, but i can only seem to find these gas powered ones which aren't that great to b honest. im wonderin if neone can help me with the real deal ones. i got it all sorted out except for the minor charge/explosion that is needed to burst the bag. i would really appritiate it if neone could tell me how the charge is made and how to use it.

indie_guy said:
hey ive looked everywhere on the net to find out how to make squibs, but i can only seem to find these gas powered ones which aren't that great to b honest. im wonderin if neone can help me with the real deal ones. i got it all sorted out except for the minor charge/explosion that is needed to burst the bag. i would really appritiate it if neone could tell me how the charge is made and how to use it.
I'm a licensed pyrotechnician. But I'll have to let the UK folks answer. I don't know the laws in the UK regarding explosives.

What ever you do, please be careful. Even the tiny charge used to fire a squib can severly hurt the performer.

This kinds of posts give me the willies. If you can't afford to hire a licensed pro PLEASE use the compressed air effect. With good acting, creative editing and sound effects you can do so much.

I'm a licensed pyrotechnician. But I'll have to let the UK folks answer. I don't know the laws in the UK regarding explosives.

In the UK you need a licensed pyro guy and full insurance to use squibs on a film set. The legal consequences of not doing so are dire.

I completely agree with directorik, this is NOT something any filmmaker should be trying without professional help. I also agree that it's how you shoot it, not what effects you use.

licensed pyrotechnician in the Chicago area?

I am looking for the number of a licensed pyrotechnician in the Chicagoland area. Anyone know of any or have worked with any in my neck of the woods?

Back