View Full Version : blood squibs

indie_guy
03-19-2005, 09:11 AM
hey ive looked everywhere on the net to find out how to make squibs, but i can only seem to find these gas powered ones which aren't that great to b honest. im wonderin if neone can help me with the real deal ones. i got it all sorted out except for the minor charge/explosion that is needed to burst the bag. i would really appritiate it if neone could tell me how the charge is made and how to use it.

directorik
03-19-2005, 12:40 PM
hey ive looked everywhere on the net to find out how to make squibs, but i can only seem to find these gas powered ones which aren't that great to b honest. im wonderin if neone can help me with the real deal ones. i got it all sorted out except for the minor charge/explosion that is needed to burst the bag. i would really appritiate it if neone could tell me how the charge is made and how to use it.
I'm a licensed pyrotechnician. But I'll have to let the UK folks answer. I don't know the laws in the UK regarding explosives.

What ever you do, please be careful. Even the tiny charge used to fire a squib can severly hurt the performer.

This kinds of posts give me the willies. If you can't afford to hire a licensed pro PLEASE use the compressed air effect. With good acting, creative editing and sound effects you can do so much.

indie_guy
03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
ok cheers for answerin my question anyway, i'll just keep trying to make it look better than it does

clive
03-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm a licensed pyrotechnician. But I'll have to let the UK folks answer. I don't know the laws in the UK regarding explosives.

In the UK you need a licensed pyro guy and full insurance to use squibs on a film set. The legal consequences of not doing so are dire.

I completely agree with directorik, this is NOT something any filmmaker should be trying without professional help. I also agree that it's how you shoot it, not what effects you use.

CootDog
03-19-2005, 06:41 PM
there are many alternitives to squibs..

Check out these sites:

http:/q3rTRJT#$ ``5353`

lux
03-19-2005, 08:02 PM
dont know if you have seen it or not, but this is a kool site on how to make squibs. http://www.exposure.co.uk/eejit/blood/index.html. Work on the compressed gas technique and its more or less the same when you add effects , editing etc. Not to mention its more fun.

indie_guy
03-20-2005, 12:58 PM
well cheers guys you bin a lotta help. ill just keep usin the gas powered ones and try and make the editin make them look better.

johnt1987
04-06-2010, 01:09 AM
I am looking for the number of a licensed pyrotechnician in the Chicagoland area. Anyone know of any or have worked with any in my neck of the woods?