• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

In the beginning...

Hi, I'm new to this game,

I love short films and have got a great idea for one, but i'm not in the industry and would love to make this short. how do i go about making it independentley, do i need to rent equipment, how do i get it noticed etc.

are there any websites that contain this kind of info

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

gravy834

Your short film idea...

gravy834 said:
Hi, I'm new to this game,

I love short films and have got a great idea for one, but i'm not in the industry and would love to make this short. how do i go about making it independentley, do i need to rent equipment, how do i get it noticed etc.

are there any websites that contain this kind of info

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

gravy834

I would think that the first thing you want to do is write your short film screenplay. This way, you have something to leave with people AFTER you've made contact with them and discussed the possibility of collaborating with them to make your project.

There are way too many sites that can give you tips and tricks to mention here... Just take a few hours and hit Google up with your queries...

While you're writing, try to hit up the people you already know to see if they are willing to help... They might know someone that can also help you out. I am always amazed at the amount of people I personally meet who really don't know that much (if anything) about making a film but these same people almost always know someone who does...

As far as making it goes...

It all depends on your budget. You can rent everything you'll need or you can buy. I own all my own equipment because I want to keep working in the field. I imagine if you know up front that this will be a one-time shot, renting the equipment would be worthwhile. It all depends on you and how hard you are willing to work to get your project made.

One more thing...

My experience has been that a lot of people like to help out those with a passion and a vision... When you find people like this, TREASURE THEM! Don't use them and throw them away. Too many indie filmmakers do this. Treat your collaborators right and they will go to great lengths to help you achieve your vision.

Good luck with it... If you have any more specific questions, you shouldn't hesitate to ask them right here or even do a search of the hundreds of threads that discuss this same subject...

filmy

thanks for the great advice, i really can't wait to get started. i'm currently situated in hereford and am soon off to the states for the summer so am looking to begin production upon my return in the winter.
any extra info would be amazing
cheers

hereford??? ah, i only know of places in Yorkshire and the Midlands that could help you out. sorry about that. my advice is to look at what your nearby universities/colleges offer. many such places are looking for a good PR story of local film guru being helped out etc, so its worth a try.

I don't know.... I just jump in with both feet and give'er...

but some things to look into is 1st off a Camera HD DV are cheep these days
lighting just use some flood lights they are cheep and can get then at any hardware store
same with grip gear.

fined some cool actors or friends that you think can play the part.

and yes Nique made a good point Film schools are a good place to fined a lot of crew, or even do a post there about what it is that you are trying to do.

Back