Movie Proposals

What is the proper term for a packaged movie proposal that one would submit to potential investors?
Does anyone know of a company that could put that kind of package together for me?

I think you would call it a pitch. I might be wrong, but I think that's what it's called. As your "pitching" the idea to the investors.

If you are serious about getting investors on for your film my honest suggestion is that you should try to bring on an experienced producer with at least one or two feature credits to their name. Let them package the film and learn from them.

There are also producer training schemes, the European version is called "EAVE." I can't remember the US version, you could probably get the information from PACT.

To qualify for these schemes you have to have an established track record as a producer, doing shorts for instance. On the whole they tend not to favor the writer/director/producer combo for obvious reasons.

If none of the above tickle your fancy, then the traditional indie route to this would be to use a software package like Gorilla Pro to create schedules/budgets/profit and loss projections and then use them along with your marketing material to crete your investor's pitch.

I think the schduling software discounted for Premiere Members does the same sort of thing and there's a thread about that elsewhere in the forum.

Package Producer

ramirras said:
What is the proper term for a packaged movie proposal that one would submit to potential investors?
Does anyone know of a company that could put that kind of package together for me?

I know several packaging producers in and around Hollywood. They SPECIALIZE in packaging all the elements required to make an informed pitch to a studio. The problem is that this isn't cheap by a long shot. Most producers won't even take on your package anyway and if one does, you need to make sure they can deliver. Anyone (and they do!) in Hollywood or anywhere else in the U.S. can be a producer simply by getting some business cards printed up.

If you find a package producer (a producer who specializes in packaging), you need to ask to see what projects they have packaged in the past. You need to ask who they will pitch your package to. You need to negotiate how long you're giving them to create the packaging and make the pitch. Minimum is normally 90 days and can go on for a couple of years.

Like I said, most packaging producers won't do this without a fairly large fee up front. How much? Start at about $15K and work up from there depending on the producer, reputation, and credits. But like I said, most won't even touch your script. Yes, I said script. At a minimum, you're going to need an OUTSTANDING SCRIPT. Not one that you've written and shown to your friends, family, and associates unless one of these people is an ACCOMPLISHED screenwriter.

To prepare a script for possible packaging, you need to send it to a reputable script analyst and the work on a rewrite and a polish will start from there. Don't even think about approaching a packaging producer UNLESS you've done this first. Your script analyst needs to be very familiar with the normal 3 act structure that Hollywood uses... Rarely, will a studio bite off on a script that does not follow the normal 3 act structure. *NOTE: 3 act structure does not mean FORMULA. Write the description/action and characters the way you want but make sure the basic 3 act structure is followed. Why? Because studio execs rarely purchase scripts that do not adhere to this kind of structure. When they do, the script usually has enough elements contained in it that can be rewritten to adhere to it which means you probably won't get the opportunity to do the rewrite yourself.

I could go on but I think you get the basic idea...

EDIT: I went back and read your initial post again... The term is simply a PACKAGE. A packaging producer normally gives what is called a TOPSHEET to a studio that shows/explains the specifics of the package they've put together...

Hope that helps a little...

2nd EDIT: If you're finding investors on your own, the best course of action might be to package this yourself. Unfortunately, if you have no reputation or track record, investors might be scared away because of this fact. In that respect, yes... You're going to need to find an accomplished producer OR, AT THE VERY LEAST, someone who can walk the walk and talk the talk... If your investors are not familiar with film investing then you might be able to pull it off yourself or get someone who can. No matter which way you go... If you do this yourself or obtain someone to be your talk the talk producer, you'll need to REHEARSE the entire pitch enough so that it is second nature to you. The minute you fumble around for answers or simply cannot answer potential investor's questions, GAME OVER.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back