transferring 8mm to digital

Hi all,

I'm trying to transfer data from 8mm tapes to digital on my hard drive. The 8mm camera upon which I made the 8mm videos has died.

My newer digital camera has a firewire port and an S-video port (although I don't really know what that is and have never used it).

So, does anyone have any recommendation of equipment I can buy to play my 8mm tapes and hook the new equipment up to my digital camera so I can transfer all my videos onto digital video tape? I can get from digital video tape to my hard drive.

Please reply here or email me.

Catalina

The easiest thing would be to beg/borrow/steel an 8mm camera. From there, depending on your miniDV cam, you can either make copies to miniDV or use the "pass through" feature to digitize them and go straight to your hard drive.

Otherwise, you can beg/borrow/steel an 8mm camera and buy an analog-digital capture card for your computer. But if you already have a miniDV cam, this seems rather redudant.

A way to playback your tapes is required to do anything, of course.

Sony's Digital 8 is meant to be a bridge between 8mm and miniDV. It is (I think) backwards compatible with 8mm but also has a firewire port. It's also a newer technology than 8mm and should be a bit easier to find.

Sony's Digital8 cameras all are capable of playing analog HI8 footage and do output DV25 from the analog tapes via their firewire ports. You can usually find these cam's at a pawn shop for a couple hundred bucks and it would be the cheapest/highest quality method of injesting it into your computer.

Back