Film scheduling software

Well, I'm playing with this new programme for film scheduling called:

Sunfrog Film Scheduling

I've never used anything like it before, so I don't really have anything to compare it too... but I thought I'd talk about it a bit, anyway.

_______

It's written by an IndieTalk boardmember, Mr Filmscheduling, btw.

I downloaded the 30-day trial from Sunfrog-Tech. You need the Microsoft .NET thing installed to use it. (At the download page you have the option to get that, too. That's a free thing from MS)

It allows you to enter all kinds of information about your upcoming film project, so you can be really organised when the shooting days arrive. Actors, contacts, props, locations, extras, decorations, sound FX, specific shots wanted, and more.

As you fill in more & more information, it makes keeping things straight much simpler. You can create checklists for just about anything you have entered... what scenes specific props are used in, which actors are needed for which days and when, Call Sheets, you name it. Want a breakdown of each actor and exactly which scenes they are in, and what pages they'll be doing? No problem. Want a list of the sets that a certain prop will be used in, total? No worry.

There are over a dozen reports that sort through all that data and display how they relate to other data items, from macro to micro scale. If that's not enough, you can export what you want to an Excel file and do some custom monkery.

_______

Now, I have to say that this is a bit too much for someone like me, who makes short shorts (half-day shoots) with minimal detail to keep track of. But if you are making films that require more than a single day of shooting, it might be something to take a look at.

The tutorial files should be in your "My Documents" folder.

I didn't use them too much; had too much fun imagining I had a million dollar budget, and entered all kinds of stuff in every category I could think of.

This great software (thanks to filmscheduling) is available to Premiere Members at a 20% discount! It will be on the Discounts page by tomorrow.

Any chance of an OSX version or is that not on the cards?

I'm currently testing out scheduling/budgeting software but have to have something that is mac based. Currently I'm favoring Gorilla, but I'm open to sugesstions.

I haven't had cause to use scheduling software for some time now (long time since AD-ing) but one of the shortcomings I see with "MM Scheduling" is the limitations with designing reports. In Sunfrog, are the report options open to manipulation. Can one design the way the page looks easier than "MM scheduling".

In Canada we have been forced to re-think the way we shoot series. We just don't have the budgets that the US shows have. We are always trying new approaches to the way we shoot them. Movie Magic seems like a dinosaur in the changing face of production, in my opinion anyway. Thank goodness someone is doing this. I'll pass it around. The screenshots look good!

Last edited:
There are a bunch of canned reports with the ability to customize predefined parameters. You can export your report to MS Word for customization. A free-form report designer is under development. I know this is an important feature so I want to get it right.
Thanks for checking out Sunfrog.

Back