Looking for a good deal on GL2

I wanted to find a GL2 for relativly cheap. i've seen GL2s for 1000-1500, but ive heard that there is a foreign GL2 not made in america thats the same but half the price, and half the quality. and paying 2X as much for the $2000+ one is worth it. is that the XM2? :huh:
i want to start to get more and more into filming and i dont want to pay a ton for a new GL2. i've worked with it before, and i love it. But i want to get a GL2 cheap so i can afford an FS-4 (i HATE tape, with a passion :bang: ) and a fisheye lens.
thanks for the help people, you guys actually seem to know what youre doing compared to some people ive talked to.
-Joe

I'm not really sure why you would be wanting an F-4, given that you are struggling with a budget that may not even allow for a new camera.

I'm also not sure why you would be disliking tape, so fervently. :huh:

Also, looking at your profile and the sports you film, I am thinking that such an external accessory wouldn't last too long if you took a good tumble. It would snap right off! :eek:

_______

The basic F-4 holds just under 3 hours of video... total. MSRP of $800. Sure, it's "edit-ready" video but I doubt it's going to save you that much time over capturing from a tape, as the F-4 to editing system transfer is going to take some time as well.

Imo, it's a nice gadget. Will harddrives like that eventually replace tape altogether? I suspect they will. (Unless flash-based memory gets there first)

In its current state, is it something you should be scrounging to get? No, I don't believe so.

Go get your basics first.

_______

Regarding foreign cameras for sale in the US... are you referring to the "gray market"?

There are some companies that sell them here. Those companies almost invariably have horrendous reputations, as well. Sure, they'll say they are selling the camera cheap... but if you want the basics that are included in a normal package (like... say... a power cord, or battery) they'll stick it to you so hard. You may even end up paying more than if you had walked into an official authorised reseller's store.

If that's not the camera thing you mean, well.. oops :)

well on the FS-4, i know that it would take time to transfer, but for me tapes are my biggest deterant for editing is transfering because i dont have the time, and if i was doing follow cams i wouldnt use it. i actually want to get into shooting shorts. But, I'd only get it if i could find a GL2 cheap enough.

i saw these deals: and want to know if theyre legit, and come with every thing that the $2500 would
http://usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=10010 this was posted elsewhere in the forum

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=8678&start=1

http://royalcamera.com/cangl2digcam.html

ive seen a few deals like this. i want to stay under $2500, so if i can get a camera at these deals, I'm planning on getting some extras like the FS-4. and an inexpensive fisheye lens.

thanks for the help people, and please ignore the spelling erros, i cant close my eyes, im tired, but i cant sleep, you know what i mean...

Look those ocmpanies up at resellerratings.com . You will not like what you'll see, I would be so bold to venture.

You can also look them up on these boards, with a fair amount of info on them.

Trying to thing of a phrase that includes "...not with a 10 foot barge pole".

For someone on a budget, the FS-4 is an interesting luxury. But to each his own, I'd sure love to have one.

I would stay away from those discount places. They're not necessarily crooked, but they are difficult to deal with and have been known to cancel orders when you don't add addition "accessories" to your purchase, like overpriced batteries and protection plans.

yeah i was looking at those site, thanks zen for the website man. yeah i know the FS4 seems weird, but like I said, only if i can get a good deal on a GL2.

so far ive hear where NOT to buy from, anyone got a tip on where i SHOULD buy from?

I say go with the trusted sellers:

B&H Photo Canon GL2

EVS On-line Canon GL2

And here's a new store which I hear good things about:

Buydig.com Canon GL2

When shopping on-line, always check with Resellerrating.com

Remember the cheapiest place may well not be the best place to buy.

My thoughts on Tape vs. Hard Disk is I like tape because it's achieval, where hard drive footage gets used and then tossed or only the footage in the final edit get saved. Sometimes those outtakes can hold valueable stuff that only becomes apparent later. The famous pic of Bill Clinton hugging Monica Lewinsky was from a guy who shot film negative instead of digital. The rest of the photogs using digital had purged their photos of Clinton hugging some unknown girl many months ago. Now I understand that the speed of hard disks is alluring, especiallly in news and sports.

Scott

Back