Copyright problems

Anybody know a good chunk about copywrite and public domain music?

I have a song from 1938 that i'd like to use in a film but i can't find out if its still under copyright. Also if it is copyright proteced who/how/how much do songs cost?

Any help besides the library of congress and the pd website would be helpful.

thanks,

Unless they let the copyright expire, works from 1938 are still under copyright. Plus, the "recording" would not be public domain anyway, since it has been remastered from the original vinyl master. Whoever remastered it would own the rights to that version. What song? The track in my last film was from 1935-36 (and I secured the rights).

Thanks for the quick reply. Amazing!

the song is called "Rank Strangers." It was written by Alfred Brumley in 1938. I don't want to use his version or recording of the song. I'm in post now working on a preservation documentary about mountain culture and community/bluegrass gatherings in Western NC. I have recorded versions of this song sung by old timers who come to the weekly gathering.

I am also considering naming the film "Rank Strangers."

Does that info help at all?

How did you secure rights to your 1935 song and if i may ask how much was it?

Thanks,

-Rod
614 Productions

Awww, c'mon guys!

Excellent info taken off the boards to e-mail?

While I have excellent "book knowlege" of music copyrights I have no actual experience in obtaining these rights. How you did it would be of great interest to many of us here.

With older recordings (1930's) you can often deal directly with the rights holder (publisher), and not a performance rights organization. Since it's not "popular", chances are they have a division that handles this. :)

can i ask, what is the best (and cheapest) way to copyright your script? im re-drafting at the moment, but when i wanna start sending it off to people, I have been warned to be careful. I have been told the cheapest way to safeguard your work is to post yourself a copy of your script, and then never open it (so the post mark date will ensure copyright)....is this the easiest way?

moviequeen said:
can i ask, what is the best (and cheapest) way to copyright your script? im re-drafting at the moment, but when i wanna start sending it off to people, I have been warned to be careful. I have been told the cheapest way to safeguard your work is to post yourself a copy of your script, and then never open it (so the post mark date will ensure copyright)....is this the easiest way?
There are a few things you really shouldn't use the cheapest way. Registering your copyright is one of them.

The registered mail way IS cheap, no doubt. But if you ever get the the point where you are forced to prove the date of origin because of some kind of law suit, why go with the cheapest way? Seriously. What's more important to you right now? You may have to make a few sacrifices in order to pay for registration - but it's worth it.

The "poor man's copyright" (aka mail stamp) is frequently used.

Does it offer enough protection? I would not think so.

Do a Google for Sophia Stewart. She had fully registered stories stolen from her, and is now looking at over 2.5 Billion (yes, with a B) coming to her... but only after years of expensive legal battles that never would have seen the light of day without adequate grounds.

Normally I'd suggest:

http://www.copyright.gov/

and

http://www.wga.org

Doing both is ideal, normally.

Since you are in Scotland, however, I am not sure how well these protect you (or others) outside of the United States.

Maybe Clive (or other Brit-peeps) could mention the places that might be closer to home?

thanks, ill look into both those options, with the expense of everything, its kinda temptin to go with the cheapest option, but your right, it aint worth the risk. thanks!

In the USA

moviequeen said:
thanks, ill look into both those options, with the expense of everything, its kinda temptin to go with the cheapest option, but your right, it aint worth the risk. thanks!

If you want to market your screenplay to American studios, DEFINITELY get a copyright from the government as well as registration from the Writer's Guild of America.

When copyrighting your script, make sure you use the CORRECT copyright form. Some people try to register their screenplays as literary works. This is incorrect. Screenplays need to have Performing Arts copyright using FORM PA.

Get both (copyright and WGAw registration) if you're submitting to anyone in the United States.

*NOTE: If the regular FORM PA is too long or too difficult to fill out, you can also use SHORT FORM PA. --If you ever have to go to court in the United States for copyright infringement, sending the script to yourself will not protect you. Anyone can send an open envelope to themselves, insert the script and seal thus, creating the illusion that they sent it to themselves a lot earlier than they actually did...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back