audio recording for dvx?

im saving up for a dvx and i need something to record the audio with rather then using the internal mic on the dvx. i have many questions but the main ones are:

1. what is DAT recording?
2. is DAT recording recorded onto a seperate tape from the video?
3. DAT recording is recorded seperatly from the camera all together?

i basically want to know the best way to record on field audio without carrying around boom mics etc. hope you guys can help

If you don't want to use boom mics and you don't want to use the on-camera mic, then your best bet is to use lavs, or wireless, mics. The mics themselves clip onto the actor and the receiver can be plugged into a mixer or fed directly to the DVX.

In answer to your questions:

1. DAT is digital audio recording
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

But a DAT will still need a boom mic or a lav to record the audio. Your best bet really is to record directly into the DVX.

I onced used minidisc on a project that was animated, not sync sound, so I don't know how that would work out. It sounded great, but again I'm not sure about compatibility issues. Plus, minidisc is pretty much a dying technology.

What is your aversion to recording the sound directly to the camera's tape? All things being equal, it's not going to sound noticeably worse than recording to DAT (I'm not exactly sure about the technical specs), and it's going to be a helluva lot more convenient.

i dont really have anything against the audio on dv tape, i just want to explore all the options. I dont really know much about the different recording formats but i think the best option for me is to buy a good sennheiser stereo mic or the optional ag-mc100g. Something i can attach to the top of the camera. Do you know what would be better beeblebrox?

It really depends on what you're using it for. If you're making movies and want good production audio, that Panasonic mic probably isn't going to cut it.

I use a boom pole and a shotgun mic that feeds directly into the DVX. I've also used lavs, again directly into the DVX, and a shotgun mic on boom pole fed through a mixer. All are fairly standard gear for production audio on film shoots.

If you're doing a run-and-gun style documentary, then the Pansonic mic might work for you. It's certainly convenient, but the audio is going to be omnidirection.

Back