Mac, PC (Windows), or Turnkey Editing Appliance?

Do you edit (if any) using a Mac, PC (Windows), or Turnkey Editing Appliance? Why?

Myself, i use Mac because, well, Final Cut of course.

Discuss.

IndieNoob said:
Macintosh of course. theres only one way to go: FCE/P.

In the interest of fairness... it can be illuminating to mention why you hold this position.

Oh, and :hi: Mr 3CCD, too.

Any reasons why a Mac might be better than a PC, other than a Mac has FCP?

Last edited:
I've always used a PC with Windows because I've never had the opportunity to try anything else (not counting my Commodore 64 and DOS years). I doubt I would switch to a new OS, if I did, though.

I dont know, i guess i've always used macs and worked my way up the editing ladder using iMovie, then Final Cut Express, and, eventually, FCP. Although, I've tried PCs. i guess my opinion of mac being better is kinda biased.

I've heard quite a bit about those editing appliances (you mean: i.e. Casablanca?), but im still not sure about how you would get mp3's or aac's onto the appliance. anyone know?

I edit with Macs, though just recently switched from Windows. i had heard a lot of good about Apple, not only the graphics or the ease of use, but also their final cut line. I had worked with sony vegas.

I am really starting to like how simple and easy to use they are. cuts much time off the editing process.

it's all about Macs. I love computers, Pcs are great. But there's somthing about a mac, that just makes life easier. I have never gotten a virus with my mac. Anything you plug into a mac works, and doesnt have to take you throught ten different menus to tell the computer oh hey you have a new mouse or printer. I know PCs have there goods, like cheap. But It's worth paying extra to have a work horse, oh ya Mac never die i swear. I have a powermac G3, and i just updated it with Os 10, and it still runs like I just bought it. Now I have a powerbook G4, and it's wireless internet, and printer i love it. Now for editing three words Final Cut Pro, by far the best editing system ever. Watch out PC's Mac is coming.

GoPro said:
I've heard quite a bit about those editing appliances (you mean: i.e. Casablanca?)

The "turnkey editing appliance's" I'm talking about come from manufacturers such as Applied Magic (Sequel, Screenplay and Screenplay Plus), Edirol (DV-7DL), and, yes, Casablanca (Avio, Prestige, and Solitaire).

vegasindiestv said:
Watch out PC's Mac is coming.
i am a mac man only and have been for most of my life. The sad thing is that mac were the first to make computers but were too excited about what they had created and gave the technology away to IBM, before microsoft was around. Correct me if im wrong but i believe thats the way it went. Maybe if mac didnt give the technology away it would be more popular and therefor have even better programs today. still i cant complain with fce, shake, studio pro etc. out of lack of experience with fcp, what is the main difference between fcp and fce? does fcp just have more effects, better colour correction, titles etc?

lux said:
i am a mac man only and have been for most of my life. The sad thing is that mac were the first to make computers but were too excited about what they had created and gave the technology away to IBM, before microsoft was around.

That's not really the way it happened. Believe me, Apple has never been one to give away much of anything. There are lot of reasons that Apple lost out to the PC market, but it's probably too long of story to get into here.

In my experience, both OSX and WXP are about the same in terms of reliability. They're both stable, powerful and easy to use. Obviously both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think we've finally reached a point where you can buy the OS you for the particular needs you have and be comfortable with your decision.

On the editing side, you can either go with Avid (Mac/PC) or FCP (Mac only). Both are top of the line, industry-standard systems with heaps of advantages. Wide user base. Ubiquity. Avids are more stable than FCP in my experience, since Avids are more likely to run on turnkey systems, especially at the high end. Avids are also more expensive to get into if you want all the functionality that FCP offers.

All in all, I give the edge to FCP. It's only gaining in popularity and has become the defacto standard in the indie market.

Beeblebrox said:
There are lot of reasons that Apple lost out to the PC market, but it's probably too long of story to get into here.
"Lost out"? I don't quite think that Apple 'lost out' to PC's, or even windows for that matter. If anything, the 'better OS' title is slowly slipping out of Windows' grasp right into Apples hands. Some people (not all, evidentally), including Consumer Reports, know that Macintosh is typically the better computer, except for one thing: the price. But, with the technology market getting cheaper and cheaper, Apple has jumped on that quicker than Windows, and they are getting more affordable and more widely used. Whereas they used to just be the computers for the "wealthy", having been so expensive, their user range is growing to more customers.

So, as Sir VegasIndiesTV the great once said, "Watch out PC's Mac is coming." :)

"Lost out"? I don't quite think that Apple 'lost out' to PC's, or even windows for that matter.

Apple currently has less than 5% market share. Windows has over 90%. And it's not like Apple is aiming for the niche market like Lamborghini or Ferarri. They're the Honda to the PC Toyota. Both computers do roughly the same things, have the same reliability, and trade off on issues like security and price.

What's funny about your spin on this is that Apple currently OWNS the portable music market with about 60% market share. Most Mac devotees consider the competition "also-rans" who shouldn't even bother trying to compete with the Ipod.

But if dominating market share makes the competish an "also ran", what does that make Apple in the PC market?

Man, I really like Macs, but I fucking hate the cult of Mac. It's a real turn off.

Some people (not all, evidentally), including Consumer Reports, know that Macintosh is typically the better computer, except for one thing: the price.

And availability of software. And games. In addition to the aforementioned price.

Look, Macs are great, no question. But so are Wintel machines. In fact, the systems are so comparable that it's really ridiculous to award a "Better OS" title without first knowing what you need it for. If you're a hard core gamer, for example, it's difficult to say that OSX is "better" under ANY criteria. They're more expensive, titles are in short supply, and those that are available come out on the Mac months, sometimes years, after they come out for Windows.

For editing, OSX definitely has an edge because of FCP. But Avids run in Windows as well as they do on Macs. So again it depends on what you need it for.

I use both, and I'm happy with both systems.

But, with the technology market getting cheaper and cheaper, Apple has jumped on that quicker than Windows, and they are getting more affordable and more widely used.

It would incredibly difficult to make the case that Apple has jumped on the cheaper technology market faster than PCs. In fact, you JUST said that the expensive price is what has kept Macs from proliferating the way PCs have.

PCs have been affordable for years. Mac only just last month released anything even CLOSE to the hardware for the price. And it's STILL more expensive than a more powerful PC, especially once you upgrade the RAM and add a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Frankly, I'm GLAD to see Apple FINALLY release a system that doesn't cost a mint to buy. It's way underpowered for what I personally need it for, but it's a step in the right direction.

Alright Pc's Rock don't get me wrong. I love Technology, But one thing I'm going to say is Macs are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've already gone through two Pc's meaning died on like peace out. And I still have my Old G3 running like i just bought it yesterday. So Truthfully to me it equals out. And for me buddy it's not a cult, I just buy what I like. when it comes down to it there both great machines just buy what you want. So work that extra job if you wanna buy a Mac it's worth it. Love Peace Chicken Grease.

And for me buddy it's not a cult, I just buy what I like. when it comes down to it there both great machines just buy what you want.

Anyone who says "PCs rock" is definitely not part of the Mac cult, so no worries. ;)

And for what it's worth, I've owned two G3's running OS9 and they were steaming piles of crap. They crashed all the time, they were slow, and I had to buy my software twice to use it on both systems (not Apple's fault for sure, but still part of the cost of ownership). And when an app went down, it took the whole system with it (Windows has had protected memory since NT and W95, and Unix had it before that).

At the time I was running Windows NT and then 2000, both of which were rock solid. Now with OSX, Mac has a damn fine OS and with FCP, a damn fine editing system. I'm definitely not a switcher, but I am an "adder."

Last edited:
Beeblebrox said:
Apple currently has less than 5% market share. Windows has over 90%.
On one hand, that's quite surprising, but, on the other, that actually makes a lot of sense. Windows is much cheaper and way more consumers purchase and use that platform compared to the Apple OS. And, excuse the error, it isn't just because of the price. I shouldn't have said that. The availability of software and, well, dealers, also add to that statistic, you're right.

Beeblebrox said:
What's funny about your spin on this is that Apple currently OWNS the portable music market with about 60% market share. Most Mac devotees consider the competition "also-rans" who shouldn't even bother trying to compete with the Ipod.

But if dominating market share makes the competish an "also ran", what does that make Apple in the PC market?
That, though, I am going to have to disagree with. Although you have a good analogy going and that is a very good connection you have made, in my opinion that is not necessarily true.

I do not get too involved with the portable music player/mp3 player industry, but i do understand that the iPod is the cadillac of mp3 players. Apple, despite it's small percentage of users in the computer market (as you claim), is not, in my opinion, an "also-ran" next to PCs. Where PCs have their weaknesses, Macs excel. And where Macs have their weaknesses, PCs excel. Also, "PC" is a very general term, so your percentage is not completely unbiased. There are many, many different manufacturers of PCs, whereas There is only one manufacturer of Mac: Macintosh. So, saying that PCs have "90%" of market share is, well, unfair when you could be talking about 1 or 100.

Beeblebrox said:
In fact, the systems are so comparable that it's really ridiculous to award a "Better OS" title without first knowing what you need it for. If you're a hard core gamer, for example, it's difficult to say that OSX is "better" under ANY criteria.
I, and many others, would definitely have to agree with that. Just like the whole "90%-5%" it is not really fair to say that when one does not take into account all of the variables.

Beeblebrox said:
For editing, OSX definitely has an edge because of FCP.
Thank you. That's what i was trying to get at.

Beeblebrox said:
It would incredibly difficult to make the case that Apple has jumped on the cheaper technology market faster than PCs. In fact, you JUST said that the expensive price is what has kept Macs from proliferating the way PCs have.
All i meant by saying that was that, unlike Windows/PCs, Macs are now jumping on getting their machines cheaper and more widely used, hence, getting their act together. And you're right, "PCs have been affordable for years. Mac only just last month released anything even CLOSE to the hardware for the price."

Beeblebrox said:
And it's STILL more expensive than a more powerful PC, especially once you upgrade the RAM and add a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
YES! I was outraged when i saw that (the Mac Mini). In an effort to try to get people to notice their computers, they dropped the price considerably by introducing just the computer. Not the monitor, not the keyboard, not the mouse... and with only 3 gigs of hard drive. How stupid do they think we are?

P.S. I am simply a Mac enthusiast who edits video using macs... Cult? Where did that come from? They're computers buddy. relax.

GoPro said:
Apple, despite it's small percentage of users in the computer market (as you claim), is not, in my opinion, an "also-ran" next to PCs.

I agree. I'm just saying that Mac "enthusiasts," if you prefer, make that claim about anyone who competes against Apple in other markets and fails (as in the aforementioned portable music market, and now editing). But if an also-ran is defined by market share, as they define it with portable music, then the Mac is definitely an also-ran in the PC market.

There are many, many different manufacturers of PCs, whereas There is only one manufacturer of Mac: Macintosh. So, saying that PCs have "90%" of market share is, well, unfair when you could be talking about 1 or 100.

There is only one maker of Windows and only one maker of OSX, so it's still a pretty fair comparison. And it's Windows that has that dominant market share, not any one particular PC maker.

Just like the whole "90%-5%" it is not really fair to say that when one does not take into account all of the variables.

That's the overall PC market. I'm sure among editors and graphics facilities, the percentage is a lot closer. But there's still a heavy, heavy advantage in Windows's favor in terms of market share.

All i meant by saying that was that, unlike Windows/PCs, Macs are now jumping on getting their machines cheaper and more widely used, hence, getting their act together.

You're still implying here that PCs are NOT making their computers cheaper or that somehow Apple is doing so faster than PCs, neither of which is the case.

Believe me, I wish that weren't true or I'd be running all Macs by now because of FCP. As it is, I'm begrudgingly setting up a G5 system to run FCP for editing. But I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. OSX by itself just isn't worth the price difference.

In an effort to try to get people to notice their computers, they dropped the price considerably by introducing just the computer. Not the monitor, not the keyboard, not the mouse... and with only 3 gigs of hard drive. How stupid do they think we are?

IMO, Apple must not have too high of an opinion of their users. But that's probably a discussion for a different time.

Back