Portable Processing Unit?

my question is regarding a piece of antique machinery. I heard that there was a portable processing unit for film which looked like a suitcase. Has anybody heard or seen one before? If so, could you provide a link (if such a site exists). Thanks!

Dang that was fast!!! Zen, thanks for the link. That's certainly the modern-day model. Do you know anything about an old version from say, the 1920' s or 30's?

Yeah I've heard of these before. But you just have to watch out for some of them, as some are just for processing MIRCOFILM, NOT Motion Picture Film. There was one of these on Ebay awhile back. They had it listed that it processed 16mm motion picture film, but upon calling the manufacter, it was infact a Mirocfilm processor. :P Just my luck too as it was going for under 100 bucks.

Steve, yep just for a prop, but I want some idea of what may have been historically accurate. Thanks for asking!

Hail, thanks for the info!

Thanks again Zen!

Wideshot,
Certainly, if I come across one, I'll get in touch.:)

ps: A fast search turned up a private seller.......http://www.samdodge.com/html/bellhowell/pages/2709tag.htm. You get some photos of Theda Bara with it! I emailed him for a price.

You might try pm-ing a member of this forum (Indycine). He is a library of info on film history. He, himself, has built many applications (for animation and live-action, and I think he's taken apart a camera or two :D )

Last edited:
That's a neat-looking device!

Do people still use those? I imagine it must be hard to get many of the needed chemicals as they would be pretty difficult to dispose of, being somewhat toxic and all... I think.

Naw, I don't think anyone who processes their own film use these anymore (could be wrong though). But regarding chemicals, I found an antique pack of photo developer (metol-quinol)used for paper and film produced by Montgomery wards. It contains 5 -3" glass tubes filled with the chemical. I'm guessing it's some sort of monobath (?).

Back