Proper order of credits? Lines or screen time?

What is the proper criteria for determining what order actors appear in the credit roll? Is it based on minutes on screen? Number of speaking words? Speaking lines? :huh:

It's usually based on whoever gets the best deal negotiated by the agent, and get's the highest credit, though often the most prestigeous actor will get the line..... and So and So (actor) as Such and Such (character) at the end of the credits during the opening. Sometimes it's alphabetical, which in many respects can be fair, as can order of appearance, which is an old stage theater convention (so people in the audience could easily keep track opf which actor was whom). Basically, especially if your cast is unknown it's based on how important the character is in the film. Otherwise it's whatever you want it to be, but be fair - makes no sense to give your best friend with one line the lead credit when the real lead had to learn 47 pages of dialogue.

I tried to find some offical SAG information on billing, but all I could find was this:

Credit:
(Television) One card in the end credits is required. If credit not negotiated, then it is at Producer's discretion.
(Theatrical) Films with a cast of 50 or less, all per formers shall receive screen credit. All other films,
not less than 50 performers shall be listed at the end of the film. Stuntperformers need not be identified
by role.

This doesn't have anything about actors, but the DGA has a great page on how directors in the DGA are to be credited at:

http://www.dga.org/dga_members/dir_credits.php3

The proper order is my name first, then it doesn't really matter after that.

This question reminds me of the negotiations that went on with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman for who got top billing for The Towering Inferno. At the time they were the two biggest stars in Hollywood as well as rivals. Neither wanted to give up top billing. So in the credits, their name appears on the screen at the same time -- mcqueen in the top left, newman in the bottom right. Then, slowly, McQueen's name falls and Newman's name rises above McQueen's. So, in essense, they both got top billing.

The only stipulation I've ever read is that if the director and/or producers credits come first at the beginning they have to follow the cast listing at the end credits.

Other than that the three most common orderings I've seen are:

- Relevence of role to story (main character first, then down the list based on how big/important their part is)
- Alphabetical
- Appearance (similar in a way to the relevence listing, but sorted by order of appearance on screen)

Last edited:
Billing and credits get more complicated the more money is involved, at which point it's best to hand it over to the lawyers.

However, It's usual for the the writer, director. producer and principle cast to get a credit at the start of the film and then for these to be repeated at the end.

Cast credits are traditionally awarded by the importance of the role, so the lead actors are listed first and then you work out the order based on the the importance of the role to the film. A name actor appears higher up the list, even if they only have a cameo part.

Some cast agree to list alphabetically on the back credits, but the lead actors are still flagged up at the front.

As all an actor has on thier CV is their credits I think it's important that leads actors are recognised as such in the billing. This is especially true if the billing is the only thing they are getting from the film.

Back