Why Filmmaking?

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to hear everyone's take on why they're into filmmaking, what they love about it. What draws you to this medium as opposed to other creative mediums?

I had originally posted another message here, but as another user pointed out, it read like I was answering the question, "Why do I think I'm good at filmmaking." So here's another try.

I cannot escape it. I need to capture the miracle that is life, and all that encompasses it, and put it in the face of those who watch my movies. I must express every emotion and expression and situation and color on the screen. I must create epic. And the thing is, that I really want to, too.

Last edited:
This is actually a very difficult question! :eek:

(So I'll take the "gets the ladies" reply too.
smiley_fatcat.gif
... then I wake up.

I shall meditate on this one.

Yeah, mine was a joke. I have to think before I answer it properly. Also, I am having a pillow fight with a couple of womenzes right now.

Poke

Wideshot, it sounds like you only do it because you're good at it, not because you love it.

I do it because, well, i'm a very visual person, i constantly have images running through my head and i'm always working out scenarios and perspectives on things, and filmmaking is the most enjoyable release for all that. Plus i've always been in love with the artform, the history, just everything about it, i'm at my best and at my happiest when watching or making a film.

that's why i do what i do.

i'd also love to say i do it for the ladies haha, but it just doesn't work out that way haha

My attempt at seriousness:

I am fond of telling folks about a dream I had when I was four or five years old. It's my "I knew it when I was young" story. The dream was basically that I had a movie projector in my closet. That's it. And it wasn't even a real projector. From the visual I have in my head it seems more like a red box than a movie projector, but that's what it was in my dream.

I have always loved movies. Growing up, I dreamed of being Indiana Jones or Luke Skywalker, the quintessential American kid's dream. As I got older, my dreams shifted from wanting to be characters to wanting to play characters. I would make up jokes and try to entertain my family. This is where I learned that I have a knack for humor.

Somewhere along the line I actually decided that I wanted to be an actor. One big problem, I was terribly shy around people I didn't know. Mix that in with a conservative family and community and you got the makings of a kid who wants to be a star but would never dream of going for it because a) Hollywood is full of coked up sinners and b) goofy kids from Waco, TX do not become famous.

I have to admit that most of my life I let people tell me what I could and couldn't accomplish, then I came to the realization that they were all as much in the dark as I was.

It was around this time that I met a few film minded folks and I started my education in the art of film.

Since that realization I have had my ups and downs, but I no longer let people tell me that there is a limit to what I can accomplish. And I have learned that either through my own will or through divine appointment that my life depends on my filmmaking. What I mean is, I don't know if God placed me here to be a filmmaker or if I just want it so bad that I think that, but the only chance I have of living a full life is as a filmmaker.

Why filmmaking? Cause I can't imagine my life any other way.

Poke

I love art and I love creating art, and film has the power to bring all artistic mediums together under one roof. The film world is my heaven. :D

because it offers a chance to connect to people i will never meet in any other way.
it makes me more than an individual in one place at one time - which is too limiting for me.
its one of the only ways i can satisfy my rather problematic desire

Last edited:
i make films mainly cos they are fun... thats the simple answer.... they are fun to do.... if i wanted to go more in depth i could say that i am into filmmaking cos i love to tell stories and i feel that filmmaking is the best medium i know... but in all truth... its fun...

That.. my dear boy.. was a joke.

I just love everything about filmmaking.. I love telling stories.. I love watching things unfold & work themselves out.. I love the process.. I love the work that goes into it.. & I love having people see my interpretation..it's just amazing to watch something that I've done.. even if it sucks & just think 'wow.. I'm a part of this'.

God I sound like a sap.

Mr.Blonde said:
Coz it's such an immediate form of expression

in what ways do you mean immediate. i always saw film making as quite evolutionary in terms of expression, as there are so many processes it all goes through, the immediacy is extracted relatively early on. something done quickly, in an instant - thats immediate. just wondering i you could elaborate for me please.cheers

Mr.Blonde said:
That.. my dear boy.. was a joke.

I just love everything about filmmaking.. I love telling stories.. I love watching things unfold & work themselves out.. I love the process.. I love the work that goes into it.. & I love having people see my interpretation..it's just amazing to watch something that I've done.. even if it sucks & just think 'wow.. I'm a part of this'.

God I sound like a sap.

Sappy McSap Sap

Nique Zoolio said:
in what ways do you mean immediate. i always saw film making as quite evolutionary in terms of expression, as there are so many processes it all goes through, the immediacy is extracted relatively early on. something done quickly, in an instant - thats immediate. just wondering i you could elaborate for me please.cheers

It was from a joke on MTV..

Back