Female action leads

Just for a little fun....Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton probably won't be seen in the Sci-fi/action genre anymore (at least, not as leads :() Who would you guys like to see fill those boots? Milla Jovovich, Uma thurman, and Michelle Rodrigues come to mind. Who else......?

Okay, I'll play.

Uma Thurman and sara Michelle Geller are already out there doing it, more or less, though not spcifically in the sci-fi genre (thriller for Thurman, horror for Geller) .

Maybe someone VERY against type, like sandra Bulloch, which would either be an amazing success or an amazing failure, though it seems like she can't damage her career much more than has already been done, which is unfortunate because I, for one, like her. For a younger audience, Kristin Kurek seems like a very against type choice which might work; she can play steely as well as cute.

I do wonder if the tough-as-nails, against-type, kick-ass female anti-hero character isn't already getting a little old as a story gimmick, though. Still, whoever steps in is likely to have the genre all to themselves.

Definately Michelle Rodriguez.

After watching Catwoman I'd like to see Halle Berry do more action stuff, she must like it too, did most of her stunts.. maybe it was all of 'em, well ya know except those done with her CG double. ;)

Looks like she's got the lead in the new Foxy Brown, that might be worth a look.

Vivica A Fox maybe.. Jessica Alba.. she's done it before, might as well do more.

Chyler Leigh, Mia Kirshner - wouldn't mind seeing them give it a whirl, they're both easy on the eyes too. ;)

That's all for now I'll add more later if I think of any.

it sounds odd, but Kathleen Turner was always some one that struck me as what over here is called 'hard'. i don't see why they have to young women who play the roles, i always find it very exciting when an older character is in danger - they are more vulnerable. i wrote a short film noir a few months back about a pensioner as the detective - and it was worth so much more with him as old than young.

Last edited:
Maybe someone VERY against type, like sandra Bulloch

Dr, I think that's, actually. an excellent choice. Bullock has done actions before and she does have mass appeal.

I do wonder if the tough-as-nails, against-type, kick-ass female anti-hero character isn't already getting a little old as a story gimmick, though. Still, whoever steps in is likely to have the genre all to themselves.

Story gimmick???? Naw, don't agree there (and it's not just because I'm female, but because the character is archtypal (Athena).

Kirsten Dunst as a vamp who battles demons on other planets.

Poke...nice choice. I think Dunst has many of the qualities of old hollywood like Carole Lombard.

Definately Michelle Rodriguez

Agreed, Will.

Vivica A Fox maybe.. Jessica Alba
Both good choices. I had forgot about Alba, but remembering her 'Dark Angel' days...she's probably one of the most commercially viable choices...she has all the qualities to fill Weaver's or Hamilton's shoes.

it sounds odd, but Kathleen Turner was always some one that struck me as what over here is called 'hard'. i don't see why they have to young women who play the roles, i always find it very exciting when an older character is in danger - they are more vulnerable. i wrote a short film noir a few months back about a pensioner as the detective - and it was worth so much more with him as old than young.

I agree with you Nique...but we all know mass appeal is rooted in young. You're right about Turner, it's too bad someone didn't capitalize on that aspect of her personality, earlier. I still say Weaver and Hamilton could kick a**, along with Demi Moore(Member G. I. Jane?), Courtney Love (yes, I said it).

Actresses from the past who could have been action stars?
Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Alice Guy, Nazimova, Katherine Hepburn, Frances Farmer.....

I guess you have to mention Jennifer Garner, though I've personally never seen Alias nor Elektra.

How bout Rosario Dawson? I bet she could kick some ass.

And how about Angela Lansbury as past action hero?

Katie Holmes in anything is a good bet.

what about that chyna lady from the wrestling thingy? That profession seems to be turning up in films alot these days................i know she probably can't act very well, but can anyone in the action genre as it is now (Vin Diesel, the Rock etc).she is perhaps lacking in a feminine side. personally, a female action character (or any action character for that matter) must be vulnerable, emotionally and physically. if they have to be young, i would, reluctantly i might add, call for Brittany Murphy (she has that Courtney Love look to her, especially in that awful Michael Douglas flick 'keep your word' or something like that).
however, i personally would stick with demi moore. it sounds strange, but she really had me scared in Charlie's Angels 2 - its the darkness of her - so striking, so dark, so mysterious, elusive. and she is slightly old (despite not showing it) and that could really make her even more vulnerable. penny for your thoughts? i feel i am way of base here. :(
anyways, i think that after sin city, one will be chosen, one of the many female leads will step up and taste the liquor no doubt.

Last edited:
How bout Rosario Dawson? I bet she could kick some ass.

T, another great choice.

Angela Lansbury....I like her (she seemed a little delicate when younger, perhaps the batgirl of the day :lol: ).

what about that chyna lady from the wrestling thingy?

Ya know Nique, that's not so far-fetched...a couple of weeks ago there was a Sci-Fi channel (made for TV) movie in which she played an alien (I thought her performance was pretty effective).

Bird,

Some interesting choices being posted here. I take your point about Athena, it may be that I'm thinking of the style in whch they have been presented in the past ten years.

As far as actresses form the past, the list could be miles long. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see Audrey Hepburn as a no-nonsense explosives expert?

Wouldn't it have been interesting to see Audrey Hepburn as a no-nonsense explosives expert?

DR,

That's hilarious...but of course the action would have to take place at Tiffany's.

Nique Zoolio said:
what about that chyna lady from the wrestling thingy? ................i know she probably can't act very well

Of course she can act.. she IS (or was, I don't watch it) a "professional" wrestler.. that's all a bunch of poorly acted stunts and such..

Will Vincent said:
Of course she can act.. she IS (or was, I don't watch it) a "professional" wrestler.. that's all a bunch of poorly acted stunts and such..

yeah, i just wonder if she has the ability to actually be a role over 90mins rather than every week or so getting sweaty in the ring. but i think that shes probably slowly working her way up the acting ranks

Back