• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Nightbeat

NB.jpg

The time has come for my next movie to be online! :D This is Chapter 1 of the serial I'm planning to do.
It's a film noir based in the 40's/50's. The story involves Detective Jack Gibson taking a murder case about a madman who has gotten his hands on some radium and plans to use it. Along the way Jack runs into Jasmine Clover, a sultry vixen he once knew. Can he withstand her advances and get to the radium in time before all is lost?

Starring Andy Venneman as Jack Gibson
Brooke Willhite as Jasmine Clover
Rick Stafford as Victor Scott

Enjoy guys!

Last edited:
Been waiting for this a long time!

Will be the first thing I watch, when I get home from the office tonight.

Oh, and hello
smiley_fatcat.gif
!!

:cool:

_______

Edit:

Huzzah! Is pretty good, Mr King!

The sound is a bit poppy with words that start with P, B or T though.

Looks like you had lots of fun with some smoke-machines, too.

Only thing I don't get is the following:

How does the detective make the connection to Jasmine, to begin with, at the beginning?

Best scene is the "flashback" :lol:

Last edited:
Dear Hail,
i am a big fan of film noir (as much as i am a fan of anything) and really would love to see this, only problem is i don't have QT and can't download it.
is there any possibility of it being avaliable in wmp any time?
cheers, nique.

SD, hey! I was wondering when you would find this place. Welcome aboard. I think you'll like it here. Alot of nice people here. I think we'll start teasing them with pictures of our next female actress... :P

no peeking Zen!

Well, you definitely have the noirish lighting down. Loved the shots in the club.

The sound was muted at a few points, and some of the dialogue was hard to hear.

One thing that bugged me: what time period are we set in here? I see all the cars are from the forties or fifties (impressive), but in the opening scene the pool is obviously modern.

Poke

Zen, If you shoot yourself against blue screen, I'll put in you one of the next movies! :) Maybe I'll even put you next to a pretty girl. How would that be? :lol:

About the time period, we're doing an era. We're not in 1945 or 1959, it's an era piece. Almost like a stylistic view of those time periods, late 30's 40's and 50's. I didn't want to put a DATE on the film, it would limit us with what we could do.

About the pool, you try finding a 50's pool that's still in operation. LOL Also if your paying attention to the "modern" pool setting, then your not paying attention to the story of that scene and what it's setting up. :P Bad Poke.

According to the file, the character that was killed in the beginning was born in 1928, so that should tell you the time period. I saw a few modern cars slip in, like a mini-van at the club, and some semi-trucks on a lot, and in the background there were late model cars sometimes, but overall is was nicely done. Needs a good sound mix, you can hear where you chopped the dialogue tracks. Good lighting, excellent composition, some of the edits cutting to action were too quick, like the punch, and then he is laying on the ground. Good work :)

HailtotheKing said:
About the pool, you try finding a 50's pool that's still in operation. LOL Also if your paying attention to the "modern" pool setting, then your not paying attention to the story of that scene and what it's setting up. :P Bad Poke.

Any normal in ground pool would fit, not to mention most lap pools at the local YMCA.

I would argue that the fact that the modern pool distracts the viewer from the scene is not the fault of the viewer.

Poke

Thanks indie for the nice comments! :) Thanks for watching and enjoying. I think some of the sound is muddled in the compression. I worked hours on the sound. But of course it would be much easier if I had someone to just help me out with it. :P There are always room for improvment with anything you do. With this piece we'll be able to as well, we still got 4 more chapters to go.

Poke, Remember you are a filmmaker. You will notice and be more picky then the audience will be. I'm the same way sometimes. Thanks for watching by the by. ;)

Watched it again.

I don't mean to be negative. But the thing with the pool , while minor, can be distracting. I would contend that it's a bit more obvious than something only a filmmaker would notice.

Anyway, you have some nicely composed shots (especially the smoke in the lamp) and it's a fun little short.

Poke

Back