Taxi Driver 2?

I've read a couple places that DeNiro approached Scorsece about reprising the Travis Bickle character in a sequel to Taxi Driver. All the reaction i've heard so far has been negative, as in, "don't do this."

Personally, as one who watched Taxi Driver one or two times too many in high school, I'd be interested in seeing this happen.

Bickle is such an interesting character who embodies a lot of our own anti-social thoughts, actions, and I think another film could be centered around him. Personally, I'd like to see it include some sort of search for or reunion with Jodie Foster.

What do you all think?

Another thing. I saw TD in the theatre a couple years ago, and was struck by how funny a film it is -- and not just because of Albert Brooks. I think my favorite "comedic" moment was Peter Boye's "Go out and get laid" speech, followed by DeNiro's reaction -- "I think that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

I think DeNiro's wanting to reprise the role may be a sign that he is fed up with the tough but soft roles he's been playing in movies lately. If that is the case, if DeNiro wants to go back to playing characters like Bickle, then I welcome it.

Poke

I think with good charachter based films like TD we all wanna see them resurrected... thats what makes a film good, when you leave the cinema sad that you have to leave the charachters too.... but in reality, i dont think it would work, but thats what i said about T3... and i loved it!

King Goldfish said:
Him getting out of Jail and saving another young prostitute? I think they should leave a good thing alone.

I don't think he was ever in jail. But you may be right, maybe Travis should take a page from Johnny Carson's book and stay retired.

Back