• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Chapman University - go or not to go?

I live in the UK and I'm studying under the UK educational system. I've been looking at film schools that cater towards my specific wants and needs. I ended up looking at doing Screenwriting at Chapman University in Orange County. The problem is that I'm not sure whether I need to submit GCSE (O Level) and A Level grades to a credit evaluation agency, and my emails haven't been answered. I know this is a long shot, but could any one give me any advice as to what I should do? Also, does anyone know if the film school there is any good?

Sorry--don't know anything about the UK school system, but do you know the guys at www.budgetfilmmaker.com ? They are from the UK and might be able to help out. Perhaps you could visit their site and send an email to Hakan, the webmaster. His contact info is on the site. Hope that helps-- Good luck!

You could try calling them. Or have someone here in the states call them for you to collect whatever information you need.

I'd be happy to call on your behalf, if you give me a list of questions and contact info for me to pass on to them so that they can mail you any other info.

If you decide to call, the number as far as I can tell is: 1.714.997.6765

or try emailing them again: DodgeCollegeInfo@chapman.edu (or Joe Slowensky, Graduate Chair: jslowens@chapman.edu)

lexus47@msn.com said:
I live in the UK and I'm studying under the UK educational system. I've been looking at film schools that cater towards my specific wants and needs. I ended up looking at doing Screenwriting at Chapman University in Orange County. The problem is that I'm not sure whether I need to submit GCSE (O Level) and A Level grades to a credit evaluation agency, and my emails haven't been answered. I know this is a long shot, but could any one give me any advice as to what I should do? Also, does anyone know if the film school there is any good?

Chapman has developed a very good reputation over the past few years, for film students. (I live a few miles away from it)

If you are transferring from UK uni to American college, you'll likely have some issues with what "counts" and what does not. I had the same problem back in '87 when I first moved to the United States... some course credits were recognised fully, some partially, and some tossed right out the window.

I also had never heard of the "credit evaluation agency" that you mention in your post. If it helps you retain credit for courses completed, it would be a good idea to look at.

I'll buy you a beer, if you drop by OC. :cheers:

"I'd be happy to call on your behalf, if you give me a list of questions and contact info for me to pass on to them so that they can mail you any other info."

Thanks very much for all your help, I'll contact you shortly with a list of questions.

lexus47@msn.com said:

First of all, I wouldn't spend the money to go to Chapman. It's a great school and I've even taken classes from them in the past...

But you're talking about screenwriting!

I'm assuming you're moving to the Los Angeles area since you are contemplating going to Chapman. If true, I would recommend that you take the money slated for Chapman and get yourself into the myriad of screenwriting workshops and classes that are consistently held in Los Angeles.

I live in New Mexico and I go out to Los Angeles regularly for these things...

I would start out with:

Sherman Oaks Experimental College --This is the place in Smell-A to learn screenwriting.

You will learn everything you need to know in less than a year as opposed to going to a regular college. On top of that, once you're there, you'll find a ton of screenwriting groups that you can join that get together on a regular basis.

If you want to spend money on an outstanding program, you might consider:

LA Film Lab's filmmaking or screenwriting course. It's not as expensive as you might think either... They have the pulse of Hollywood built right into the curriculum... Something Chapman does not have. Many of their graduates have gone on to win major film festivals and garner 3 picture deals with studios.

A more expensive option than LA Film Lab might be The Los Angeles Film School --Same thing. They have the pulse of Hollywood and can take you to an oustanding launching point, career-wise.

I would recommend jumping into one of the above schools way before I would recommend going to Chapman and learn how to write a screenplay...

Good luck with whatever you decide though...

filmy

I do want to study Screenwriting as my major, but I'm also interested in learning about all aspects of film, from cinematography to editing. The reason why I was thinking Chapman is because I heard their courses are very hands-on and you can learn many things about many different areas of the industry. In particular this is because I want to be a screenwriter but I also have directing aspirations. I'm still not sure though... :lol:

Will Vincent said:
I'd be happy to call on your behalf, if you give me a list of questions and contact info for me to pass on to them so that they can mail you any other info.

That would be great - Thanks Will Vincent! If you could do that it would be very helpful. If you could ask the following questions:

-For those applicants studying under the British system, do they need to send their secondary school grades to a credit evaluation service? If so, what courses should technically be taken? Are both GCSEs and A Levels required to be considered for admission?
-How many students are admitted to the School of Film & Television every year?
-Do I need to send a resume?
-What essays do I need to submit to be considered for admission?
-How do I apply for a talent scholarship, and how will I know that I am suitable?

I am very grateful for your help. About the contact info, I would be most grateful if you gave them my email address. I will contact you shortly with other contact info.

Thanks Again.

Back