Retaining professionalism in unprofessional situations

Retaining professionalism with unprofessionals

Can you do it? Do you think it should be done?

My philosophy is this. If you’re going to be an ass to me, I shall be one in return. I’m not going to pussyfoot around how I feel either. If you’re doing something that is upsetting me, I will let you know. I would like the same to be done in return to me. Penned up emotions will only make things worse and more uncomfortable, I believe. By laying everything out on the table, everything becomes clearer for assessment. However, I do believe if you’re working with a group at a company, you should keep a level head and turn to a higher-up if you’re having a problem with someone. But if I’m in charge of the project, or someone is seeking me out for my services, I shouldn’t make myself deal with anyone’s bullpoopy.

What do you think?

Last edited:
It's a difficult line to walk, that's for sure. Professionalism should, in my opinion, always be maintained. But what does that mean?

From my years in management, professionalism means being able to deal with situations by focusing on the issues at hand and not the personalities involved.

Resolving issues in a constructive manner is professional. Resolving issues in a destructive manner, or ignoring issues completely is unprofessional and ultimately self-defeating.

It takes a lot of practice and patience, but it's worth it.

SPaulovich said:
From my years in management, professionalism means being able to deal with situations by focusing on the issues at hand and not the personalities involved.

Resolving issues in a constructive manner is professional. Resolving issues in a destructive manner, or ignoring issues completely is unprofessional and ultimately self-defeating.
Right - right. I’m a firm believer in this.

Amongst my peers, I’m known as the hard worker who finishes what he starts, and refuses to take anyone’s sh!t. If you don’t have some backbone in this business, people will try to walk all over you. You can’t win anyone’s respect by being a rigid jerk either, so a balance has to be found.

So, if someone isn't working you let them go, but in a professional manner so as to not generate bad word of mouth publicity for yourself.. it may still cause some unwarrented bad mouthing, but as long as you maintain the "professionalism" you can always save face.. the first time you tell a client or crew person to f*ck off, you start down the path of being known as someone no one wants to work with.

The only people that get away with that kind of behavior are very high-end celebs.. and the good ones don't act that way, and as such get more work.

Will Vincent said:
So, if someone isn't working you let them go, but in a professional manner so as to not generate bad word of mouth publicity for yourself.
For the most part I do this. By default, I’m a pretty reasonable person. However, if I know someone is intentionally doing things to me to cause stress, or they’re just being fu**ing stupid - I’m can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to retain my composure. People who have worked with me understand this. I’m not an arsehole. I’m not going to passively tolerate anyone’s sh!t either. This may be a fault or strength. I’m still trying to figure that out.

Thank you for your feedback though. You’ve definitely given me something to think about.

I'm a believer that honesty is the best policy...ALWAYS. In other words, I try to always be up front with my problems. If someone bothers me, I let them know. If someTHING bothers me, I take care of it or deal with it. I am very anti-complaining, anti-gossip and anti-talking shit behind backs. If I have a problem with someone, they will know it before anyone else does. This doesn't mean I yell or curse at people, but I tell everyone how I feel if they need to know.

I believe that is why I never get caught up in drama. If anyone gets mad at me for something stupid, I usually just show them that I don't care because THEY are being stupid...then they eventually just stop caring to. If someone is mad at me for a legiot reason, I apologize and make amends...If that doesn't work, then I just move on with my life and that person usually realizes that drama and hate is stupid and pointless.

I believe this is not just smart for business, but smart for life. In other words, I totally agree with you guys and also apply these virtues to all aspects of my life.

If everyone operated this way, I believe this would be a much more efficient and peaceful world.

I worked for a producer who didn't know what he was doing and just abused his crew. He had the money to do it right, but he mismanaged his time and made everyone work rediculous hours without enough sleep. It was a student film, but he had hired some professional audio guys and after working over 14 hours in one day leaving less than 6 hours sleep to work the next day, they walked off the set.

The rest of the students stayed the extra hour or two it took to finish and the audio guys where there on time for the next day, but later the producer tried to not pay them for walking off that one terrible night. The audio guy held the DAT tapes from production until he got paid.

It was a bad situation for everyone. I know what the audio guy did wasn't professional, but I think he was in the right. What would you have done?

cinematography said:
Can you do it? Do you think it should be done?

My philosophy is this. If you’re going to be an ass to me, I shall be one in return.
I would never be an ass to someone in return.

I can't see the point in being unprofessional because someone else is unprofessional. Kinda brings me down to their level.

I do agree with you about laying everything on the table. If someone is an ass to me, I would get it out in the open. I have quit jobs where the boss is being an ass and I have fired crew members who were being asses. But I would never be an ass in return.

LOGAN L Productions said:
If everyone operated this way, I believe this would be a much more efficient and peaceful world.
Agreed. It would alleviate a lot of confusion also.

ktdamien said:
It was a bad situation for everyone. I know what the audio guy did wasn't professional, but I think he was in the right. What would you have done?
Exactly what the audio guy did. This is a perfect example of what I’m talking about.

directorik said:
I can't see the point in being unprofessional because someone else is unprofessional. Kinda brings me down to their level.
In my book, being an ass doesn’t necessarily mean being an idiot. If someone is being a jerk on the set, I’m not going to respond with soft sugar coated sweetness. I’m not going to start flipping tables or start insulting his/her mother either.

Last edited:
I think if I was going to write a definition of what being an indie film director/producer is, it would be "remaining professional in unprofessional circumstances"

I agree with directorik
If someone is an ass to me, I would get it out in the open. I have quit jobs where the boss is being an ass and I have fired crew members who were being asses. But I would never be an ass in return.
.. same here, you can't keep someone on set if they don't have the skills to be there and getting on with people is a core skill in this business.

The trick with crew discipline is to never humiliate someone in public. If there's a problem, I take the person to one side and have a very quiet chat. Because this is the same thing I do when I'm talking to anyone on set about anything about the production, nobody ever knows that I'm dealing with a discipline problem.

I worked for a producer who didn't know what he was doing and just abused his crew. He had the money to do it right, but he mismanaged his time and made everyone work ridiculous hours without enough sleep. It was a student film, but he had hired some professional audio guys and after working over 14 hours in one day leaving less than 6 hours sleep to work the next day, they walked off the set.

The rest of the students stayed the extra hour or two it took to finish and the audio guys where there on time for the next day, but later the producer tried to not pay them for walking off that one terrible night. The audio guy held the DAT tapes from production until he got paid.

I've worked with crews eighteen hours a day for ten days straight more often than I care to mention and never had a complaint or a walk off ever. If you look after people and communicate with them and also make good use of their time these problems never arise (Of course good contracts help)

Oh ktdamien nice new avatar! freaking ME out a little :lol:

Back