Audio Question for cam corders..

As I have stated before, Im just learning Audio editing. I dont have any money and Im serious. I just bought 3D Studio Max 7 and that is much as I can get for a year. So this is what I've done..

I saw a guy who hooked up 4 uni directional mics for a makeshift surround sound Audio capture sound board. looks pretty crude, looks like an old TV antena you see on peoples roofs back in the 70s. but he said the quality was as good as some 1000 dollar mic sysems he tried. I need an amplifier. I went to radio shack and they dont sell small amps anymore. Im afraid I will fry out the sound chip in my expensive camera if I hook it up to my stereo amp. And the mics draw no power and the JVC doesnt have a hotshoe like the New Sony FX1 doesnt have. but the mics cut out all background noise and hums. Plus im trying to figure out how to get stereo off of them. I put left and right mono with a stereo 1/8th in jack and both mics go to left channel. :( i need a mixer and a small amp. any suggestions? I dont know jack about audio. These mics cost me only 30 bucks on sale, They're just some inexpensive Auditorium style mics. But no power. I can hear myself on the thing if its with in 3 feet from my face. but very faint. Its all i can do for now. I really think I will get some decent sound if I hang them above the camera and somehow draw power out of the mic or amplify what is and try and do it without hum or white noise.

Hi there Mr. Goldfish :)

I'm certainly not an audio expert either but I have had some experience in this area. First question is: what is it you are trying to achieve? Surround sound for movies? (just making sure I understand!)

About the amp connected to your camcorder: I honestly do not know. Do you have specs for the equipment you could post? That would help a bit. You shouldn't need a hot shoe (I think) to connect a pre-amp or mixer to your camera though.

What can you tell me about the JVCs audio capabilities? Does JVC have the users manual online?

How are you using all these mics together? What are they all running into - the camera?

If you're using 4 mics to get a surround type of recording (presumably front and rear stereo) you would need to record to two stereo channels.. that could be done pretty easily with two soundcards, or one of those "professional" soundcards with multiple inputs, depending on software capability and computer power (processing power, not literally electrical power..)

Most likely what you're looking for is a mic pre-amp... you might be able to find a decent microphone pre-amp/mixer combo on ebay for cheap, otherwise an audio/muscian store might have what you're looking for (like a guitar center or similar)

Personally I would probably start with ebay, and then look at things like Musician's Friend. However, the easiest (and cheapest) way to get a decent surround mix is to do it in post anyway. Afterall, how important is it that the rear audio is truely what was there whilst shooting? It's not like people know for certain what was behind the camera.. and I can foresee how that would present a problem if you had much of a crew milling around behind the camera.

However, the easiest (and cheapest) way to get a decent surround mix is to do it in post anyway

Yep, most definitely. That's how it is done with major studio productions at least.

No no.. I didnt mean I wanted to experiment with surround sound Thats what he was doing on his website, i just meant I liked how he set up a makeshift boom mic system. Sorry, I was kind of tired when I typed this last night. I also noticed I used the tern White Noise which doesnt apply.

anyways, For now, I just want a single Mono mic (I was trying to split to mono mics to make a left and right channel stereo mic.. ) but the mic picks up very little audio without power. Some of those more expensive mics came with a battery insertion but these dont since they are obviouslly design for a P/A system. But if I can find an amp to plug them into and then out, I bet I can then bring up the audio level without any background noise or other noises a normal camcorder makes with their cheap little omnidirectional mics installed.

what is a pre-amp LOL, Im really considering going and taking a class in Audio Visual again.

Thanks Guys I will check Guitar Center and If I ever need surround sound (Which I dont care for) I could do it in the new Sony Vegs when I get around to saving enough money for it. Which im sure Veg 6 will be out :)

Last edited:
Thanks wideshot. I just purchased something that looks almost exactly the same called an "Audio Buddy" from guitar center. and the noise level was out the freaken door.

It was worst them the cheap ass mic that came built into the camera.

I dont think its a pre-amp issue so much, I think its just the uni directional mic I bought. its crap.

I think I will just save up for a shotgun mic. leave it at that.

thanks anyways guys.

I'd stick away from those gimmicky things and go with the tried and true.. shotgun on a boom. Do all your surround/panning/etc in post.

You'll be much happier with the results, since you have total control over every part of the sound.

I haven't used the mic. I figure if I was doing a scene where we were at a table I'd put it in the center piece or something... try and read some reviews.. some people had reviews on Camcorder info.. I think they used the GS120 too..
That's camcorderinfo.com but I'd google it

I'd still pass on it and get someone with a clue to run your boom... a table scene would be one of the easier moving boom type shots for the sound guy to, for lack of a better verb, boom.

Back