Clapboard

Hey everyone I am new to filmmaking and I am looking for a clapboard for my films. If you could give any suggestions it would be appreciated.

I bought a cheap dry erase board for slating and wrote my info on it. Clapped by knocking on the frame at the top.

those are good prices. even the little cheapy 3 dollar one is better looking then on some of the other sites I have seen. I want a digital one. Whats the cheapest you can get one of those that are decent quality? the ones I saw were between 800 and 1200 bucks.

King Goldfish said:
those are good prices. even the little cheapy 3 dollar one is better looking then on some of the other sites I have seen. I want a digital one. Whats the cheapest you can get one of those that are decent quality? the ones I saw were between 800 and 1200 bucks.

Yeah I was looking for those also, but I still like the regular ones too.

Likely unless you find a sweet deal on a used one, you're stuck with a high price for a digital clap board.... unless you DIY. ;)

Will Vincent said:
Likely unless you find a sweet deal on a used one, you're stuck with a high price for a digital clap board.... unless you DIY. ;)

not easy to do unless you know electronics well. but yeah, they're alot nicer. I like the newer cool blue LCDs. But I need a clapboard. Im trying to rig a couple of 50 dollar mics up for my HD camera.

nice.. the current bid is 250. it said 2 bids already. what was the starting price? Im guessing the first one sold because I only see one. 23 hours left

I have a question. Clapboards were designed for film, because film is process and sliced up into different sections making it easier to misplace scenes or making it difficult to know which piece is what. But when using video, you have everything there in order and you can just name each video section with part names. Is using a clapboard in videography really helpful?

Just wondering before I invest in one. Even an low priced one.

You can use the clap as a synch audio point, if you're recording externally.

It'd be a good idea for big projects, but it's not necessary for short films.

KG: depending on how long the clapboard is in the shot.. it can be useful if you're running the tape at a high playback rate to get in the neighborhood of the take you're looking for.. but then again, it's just as easy to take note of the timecode in and out points for each take during shooting. ;)

King Goldfish said:
I have a question. Clapboards were designed for film, because film is process and sliced up into different sections making it easier to misplace scenes or making it difficult to know which piece is what. But when using video, you have everything there in order and you can just name each video section with part names. Is using a clapboard in videography really helpful?

Just wondering before I invest in one. Even an low priced one.

I tend to always use it out of habbit, and it has proven useful on several occations when editing even with video. Of course it's always necessary when using a seperate audio recorder, but even when not it's still helpful to have another reference. Plus it gives your camera assistant something to do ;)

Back