HELP! Experimental documentary with international appeal and no funds!

Hey folks, this newbie is looking for some leads for my project underway. After reading some threads I can see that most of you are rather well-versed and generous with your expertise so perhaps you'll have some words dor this *ahem* "emerging" filmmaker from NYC. Now I know this is the seeking financing/distro section and yes funds I most definitely seek. However, perhaps more importantly, I am seeking likeminded filmmakers and iconoclast collaborators looking to push the very genre of documentary and narrative to new heights. I know this is a mouthful of a post but bare with me here.

Okay, so actually I have three projects in development (I'm one of those rather ambitious capricorns you see) and any leads, referrals, and shaking the money tree ideas are quite welcomed. I believe all of my films have edge, purpose, heart, and international appeal (or at least a definite niche market) please read further to see why:

Haiti: Redemption Songs (in development/production phase): this is an experimental doc about the "samba" or Haitian "roots" singer whose music embodies the very soul of freedom and resistance for Haiti, the world's first black republic. Historical fact, fiction, mythology and folklore coexist within the layers of this experimental documentary. Just as CrĂȘole is a language populated with proverbs & imagery and our music saturated with "blue notes" & conversational tactics like call & response, our filmmaking must also engage the different layers of our consciousness. I have a trailer, an unusual narrator/actor, and working proposal/synopsis introducing the three main musicians interviewees who represent the past, present and precarious future of political folk songs in Haiti.

I've screened my trailer at a few places and the response has been very warm (Film Movement, an indie distributor already showed great interest in distributing it when complete and their head of acqs is already on board as consulting producer, an editor at Bomb (Art) Magazine & BlackBook has offered to print the press release for it (when THAT'S done.) I even won a gig as cinematographer on another great project with acclaimed cult director James Spooner based on the trailer alone. And I have some dedicated crew members ready to go back to Haiti and finish the film- but for that I need FUNDS! BUT I do realize that there's still a lot to be done and I'm looking for new avenues to raise finishing funds, promote the film and expand its artistic integrity with new collaborators especially overseas.

Untitled Alternative Health Project (still in the development): this is another experimental doc about storytelling and natural healing. I'm looking for charismatic storytellers mainly from Native, African, Afro-Caribbean, Celtic, South Asian, Latino and Asian descent with knowledge of their culture's rich stories of healing, "roots & herbs, enlightenment and Creation folklore. I might have two heavyweight names on as "storytellers" already and am looking for others.

a black epic fantasy adventure film (in gestation): because I'm in the very early stages of this one (its more like a first tri-mester baby) but I'd like to seek some prenatal care if you will. Is it a boy or a girl? no, more like Julie Dash's Daughter of the Dust, Terry Gillam's Brazil and Peter Jackson's LOTR all rolled into one Salvador Dali painting. This is a purely narrative piece but nothing short of spectacular (it may seem impossible but in 5 years, mark my words... But first I need I need an amazing storyboardist, art directior, and stylist to get the nuts and bolts down before shopping the spec script.

thanks for reading,
shirley b.
a strange fruit production, inc.
astrangefruitproduction@msn.com
www.haitiredemptionsongs.com

Hi Shirley, and :welcome: Congrats on your accomplishments thus far!

I would be interested in helping you with storyboarding your narrative film. Please contact me either here by private message or via email so we can discuss it further.

Hello ShirleyB,

Your projects sound very interesting. You certainly have a full plate!

You could try some of the following resources for possible funding: www.itvs.org (public broadcastings cooperative program between indies and local PBS stations), www.nyfa.org (database of visual arts grants agencies), www.creative-capital.org (fairly new agency which grants to innovative film projects, I made it as far as the second round, but....oh well:)), www.gf.org (Guggenheim Foundation), www.nea.gov (I believe you need to be an organiztion, or you could try the National Endowment for the Humanities for an individual grant), and I would try your state arts board. If you're a resident of NY, I believe the Minnesota based Jerome Foundation, www.jeromefdn.org awards specifically to NY artists. Also www.aroomofherown.org.

Re: second project. I would try any roster of folk artists or just do a search. A Celtic/Gallic suggestion,www.iaci-usa.org (the Irish American Cultural Institute ) should have bios of Irish and Irish-American storytellers).

Hope some of this helps!

Last edited:
hey guys,
Thanks for the great grant list Bird, I guess I should mentioned that I am currently trying the regular grant route (itvs, nbpc.tv.org, nysca (New York State Council on the Arts, etc...) And I have a proposal in review at AllRoadsFilmGrant National Geographic. Since foundation funding seems to getting cut left and right each year, finding more unlikely and perhaps more lucrative ways to shake the money tree is my personal mission right now.

and iaci-usa is a wonderful suggestion :yes:

by the way- getting to round 2 at creative-capitol is no small feat- what's your project about?

Last edited:
I guess I should mentioned that I am currently trying the regular grant route (itvs, nbpc.tv.org, nysca (New York State Council on the Arts, etc...) And I have a proposal in review at AllRoadsFilmGrant National Geographic.

It is true that many grants orgs are cutting funding programs, but based on the description of your projects, the ITVS and Nat'l Endowment for the Humanities seem to be crying for work like yours. The more applications you put out, the better odds are of receiving monies.

You might also try private corporations, I've done searches for these and they do exist.

There's the option of appraoching banks, friends, relatives with a business plan. You seem to have great credentials and a history in the artform. If I'm not mistaken, there may be a thread about the process of writing a business plan here somewhere (was it by Filmjumper?-perhaps someone remembers the thread I'm refering to and can notate it)

Another suggestion I have (and this would have more to do with raw materials) is to approach businesses, manufacturers who produce any of the supplies you may need for your projects (from pre to post-production). Ask them for the stuff you need, you'd be surprised at how many folks would give you something in exchange for a mention.

by the way- getting to round 2 at creative-capitol is no small feat- what's your project about?

Thanks for asking, Shirleyb. My project is a animation called, 'Marilyn (x9) was My Mother'. It is inspired by the Myth of Persephone.

I certainly wish you the best of luck with finding funds for your work, again, do try the Jerome Foundation :yes:

Yep, you can apply anytime for the Jerome (so get it in there:)). I believe it takes about four months for them to get through the app, work, etc. Also, another one which popped up is the Lindbergh Award (www.lindberghfoundation.org) They grant in all areas, including the arts, if the project's philosophy falls in line with their mandate (which I think is pretty univeral ...'to improve the quality of life through a balance between nature and technology') Your 'Haiti:Redemption Songs' sounds like a good fit, perhaps with a little descriptive skewing to fit the app (myth is rooted in the natural/physical world and body response) and your filmmaking approach sounds like you'll be experimenting with the tech abilities of the medium. I believe the deadline is in June. If I think of anymore, I'll get 'em up.

I'll check out the experimentaltv site you suggest...thanks!

Congrats, Ms. Shirley!

YOU MUST look at: The Ford Foundation, The MacArthur Foundation, The National Endowment for the Arts, possibly the Rockefeller Foundation(fund?).

Get on the internet and find organizations that fund the particular part of the doc you are working on. Start up or Distribution or Work in Progress...Good Grief! have you looked at
Sundance? They have a documentary fund for development funds and then, when you are in production, there is a work in progress fund....I know some people are irritated with Sundance and what seems to be a lack of committment to independant filmmakers, but you never know...

HBO films, IFC, get goin' girlie!

...frankly, all you have to say is 'Daughters of the Dust' and I am listening. That's the film that made me want to go into film..... GOOD LUCK!

--spinner

Hello to the new European Distributor ived just finished my 20 minutes shortfilm Titled Justice Served, its an action drama
if u r interested or anybody. send an email at johnn1_2001@yahoo.com , and to those distributors/financiers/Sponsors who wants to fund my up coming feature projects , pls. do contact me.

Best regards,

Nelson Vargas

Back