tv NEw Tv show idea what do you think?

NEw Tv show idea LA producers may be interested?

Hey folks, I just have this idea just wonder if it's worth it. Well I'v been thinking about grabbing a bum off the streets, first make sure he wouldn't mind to get a job and do this cause hey some people just might want that life style. So I want to grab a bum have a place sponsor me to hook him up with a job, and like a small hotel to give him board. Maybe for like a month and see what he does with this. Would you watch it? does it seem like network material or local? :huh:

Last edited:
Let me preface my response with the fact that I am not a big of reality tv, in fact I don't watch TV at all.

It is a noble idea. If the individual you select is indeed just down on his luck than this could be the second chance needed to get back on top. However I am under the impression that most of the homeless are homeless because of some underlying problem ie. alcholism or mental problems of some sort. I don't think that a job and housing for a month will do the trick. Watching those sorts of folk fail would be, well, depressing.

I do think that it is a good idea though for two reasons. One cooperate sponsership for homeless, freakin' brilliant. Two, raise awareness. I am just not sure it would sell.

Mikey D said:
Wasn't there a short lived show sometime back where they boxed or wrestled or some such nonsense?

There was a series of tapes called "Bum Fights" or something like that. Truely reprehensible stuff where street people were promised money and/or booze to duke it out with another homeless guy.

I like the idea of the show, but it may well have its' pitfall. I would use an extensive screening process because as it was pointed out before some homeless folks are homeless for a reason like mental or substance abuse problems.

Scott

Seriously, the only way you'd get network TV to even look at it is if you had a bunch of homeless folks competing for a prize. You could call the show "Rags to Riches."

Poke

honestly i would be kinda scared to watch it :?

Poke said:
Seriously, the only way you'd get network TV to even look at it is if you had a bunch of homeless folks competing for a prize. You could call the show "Rags to Riches."
did anyone watch the first joe Schmo show, the fake reality show was called "Lap of Luxury" and the eviction ceremony was called the "Rags to Riches Ceremony"

YA bum fights was just plain wrong, i would never do something like that. And I understand this falls in the reality Tv show Genre, but at least in this show i'm really trying to help someone. And if he doesnt make it I may not air it. So it's all about positive, and helping people down on there luck. Thanks for your commenst much appreciated..

If you aren't willing to sensationalize it, think about making it as a doc. If Morgan Spurlock can eat Mickey D's for a month, then surely you can help a homeless person out.

Poke

I like the idea and I like what you are trying to do. I think there can be a lot of drama in pulling someone out of the gutter and helping them get set up on thier own. I'm afraid a month in a hotel wouldn't be enough though. It seems like you're just getting them on thier feet then yanking the carpet out from under them. Where do they go when their month is up? How do they continue to survive without support?

I would start by doing some more research. Find a Good Will or Salvation Army and see how their programs work. And like Poke said, if you want it to sell on more than just an informative documentary level, then perhaps you should consider setting up some sort of competition. If they make it off the streets then they all win, but maybe the one who makes it the furthest could get a well deserved vacation or something like that. Then you have to challenge of trying to measure their sucess.

It seems that a lot of reality TV is focusing more on putting people down rather than trying to build them up. I really like your idea. I hope you can make it work.

Thanks I appreciate your comments, and thanks KT, And I would probably give them board longer than a month. I'll see whats up. Just a small idea wondered if it had any potential.

I think it's a brilliant idea, actually. I'll bet you won't be able to sell it to a network BEFORE you produce it, but if you either make it a feature length documentary or just produce it in TV format and THEN sell it; I believe it would do well. I think the smarter (and safer) thing to do would be to make a feature length documentary out of it. There would be more of a market for that (because reality TV is a more flooded market).

Even if you made little or no profit, I'm positive that a project like that would boost your reputation in the indie circles if it's made well.

I say go for it.

this is a great learning community, however keep in mind that you have a very good idea out there. The entertainment industry is pure evil and if you are serious about selling it just be careful of who knows your plan.

On a better note, I think the idea is wonderful. Bumfights is sad to watch because of what they did to those people but also think about the money that they made in it. They fought some heavy lawsuits and still made money off it. The reason I feel for this is because they did somthing noone else has done. As awful as television is these days a show like this is not to be found on air so you might just have somthing there.

Yeah i don't think reality Tv Shows are going to die that fast. At least not until a new fad comes around. But whats next? I may just have to go with this idea so Doc huh? Good idea. Hmmmm Tv show or doc? what to do what to do. And I'm sure someone will take this idea, and i'll be screwed but hey it's still my idea. Ha thanks guys much love...

Reminds me of Trading Places... another angle would be to make that film into a reality show, where some Wall Street guy has to live like a homeless person, while the homeless person takes his job. The trick would be finding a relatively stable homeless person for the show... but I agree with the poster who said there needs to be some sort of competition. Not sure what that would be under this senerio.

Personally, I think the reality show genre is headed toward Celebrity Russian Roulette. Get a bunch of washed-up, C-List celebrities who have nothing left to live for and give the last man standing a million bucks.

ktdamien said:
Where do they go when their month is up? How do they continue to survive without support?

How 'bout after the month is up, they learn to support themselves like the rest of us. ;)

Seriously, the more I think about this idea, the more I like it as a reality show. You should pitch this: "Rags to Riches" -- homeless people compete over a month long time period doing odd jobs and managing their earnings, all while competing in silly challenges like "Frozen Urine Toss" and "Cook the Rat." Then at the end, reward the winner with a full time job, a big check and year long rent on a luxury apartment.

Hell if they'll do "The Biggest Loser," they'll do anything.

I think Reality TV will survive for some time because no matter how silly the situation is people will always want to watch other people display quazi-real emotions.

Poke

Last edited:
Back