Submiting to multiple fests

What's the wisdom on submitting to two festivals that take place at the same time? If you get into both and you're forced to reject one, doesn't that ruin your reputation if you want to apply to that one in the future? Can it have further implications (e.g. does word get around to other festivals), or is it something people do all the time?
Thanks,
Jonz

I would go ahead and submit. if you're lucky enough to have to turn a fest down then that means more buzz on you're film being worth something. If you have a big star in your movie or lots of money (I'd say 100 thousand or higher, not a lot, but a lot to indie filmmakers) then I would be picky, but if not then I wouldn't worry about being too picky, just make sure the fest is right for your film before you spend the money to enter.

And maybe you do have a star or lots of money, don't know. I just mean by if you do your chances might be very high of being accepted and you want the right fest at the right time. But if it's unknown cast and crew and not much money, then pick the right fests, (enter the big ones first), but if you get accepted into 2, then good for you, you're film might be going places.

Mike-B

p.s. hope that makes sense, and don't mean to say w/o stars or money your movie sucks cause that's not true at all and that would take the meaning out of independent cinema.

You don't have to turn them down. It can play at 10 festivals on the same day. Check the premiere requirements of the festivals, and be selective if it's a world premiere (it's better to world premiere at Sundance than at a no name fest).

indietalk said:
You don't have to turn them down. It can play at 10 festivals on the same day. Check the premiere requirements of the festivals, and be selective if it's a world premiere (it's better to world premiere at Sundance than at a no name fest).

What he said...and I haven't seen any festival that requires your attendance...just that they would prefer that you attend.

The only conflict that you might have is if your film is a film...and you only have one copy. In that case, I wouldn't enter fests at the same time. Unless you were going for a Sundance vs Slamdance sort of thing. And if you did, you might be able to make both if time permits...but that would be risky.

Chris

Last year I submitted my film to two festivals that ran the same weekend. Tambay and Just Another selected my film, "Jelly Pilgrim". I planned to go to Tampa first, because it was accepted there first. So I let the director of Just Another know about the predicament, and he was very understanding. Later both of us had films playing at the MiniDV festival. We enjoyed meeting each ofther there that much more because of our backstory.

Your problem is not a problem. We should all have such problems.

Back