film making books or dvd

i think i saw a post here the other day with some film making book recommendations, but i cant find it. if you see it just link it here, if not:

im in college and really want to do something with making movies or some type of film. i dont know much so want a couple books to learn about all the different things in film making (acting, directing, producing, cinemontography, cameras, mics/lenses/lighting, editing, etc...) i am just starting out so would need a book (or dvd) that will teach me from the beginning. what about film making for dummys? and i heard the creator of south park had a good book called something like go out and make a damn movie. what would yall all recommend?

I asked a similiar question in my first post I got some great responses.

Check out this thread.

If anyone has any more to add, my shelves are still pretty bare.

Last edited:
I just picked up a couple nice ones yesterday and today..

The Guerilla Filmmakers Blueprint (it's the followup to the 'Guide', and in my opinion much better) -- Chris Jones
ISBN: 0826414532

Directing Film Techniques and Aesthetics (3rd Edition) -- Michael Rabiger
ISBN: 0240805178

and this one looks to be helpful for screenwriting:

The Complete Writer's Guide to Heros & Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes -- Tami D. Cowden, Caro LaFever, Sue Viders
ISBN: 1580680244

-----

Then I would also recommend 'Directing Actors' by Judith Westin (ISBN: 0941188248)
as well as everything I mentioned in that post Mikey spoke of.

Not mentioned there or anywhere else yet.. I'm also looking at getting the followup to directing shot by shot: 'Film Directing Cinematic Motion: A workshop for staging scenes' by the same author. ISBNs: 0941188108 & 0941188140 respectively.

I'd recommend browsing through the bookstore (not necesarily to buy, but to see what he recommends) over at www.hollywoodu.com... Dov S-S Simens has some nice book recommendations, and he's put together some packages to help you choose.

Just for kicks.. here's what's on my Xmas list for books thus far:

Independent Film Producer's Survival Guide - Gunnar Erickson, Harris Tulchin, Mark Halloran
ISBN: 0825672791

The Five C's of Cinematography - Joseph V. Mascelli
ISBN: 187950541X

Complete Film Production Handbook - Eve Light Honthaner, Butterworth - Heinemann T
ISBN: 0240804198

Film Lighting - Kris Malkiewicz, Leonard Konopelski (Illustrator), Barbara J. Gryboski
ISBN: 0671766341

Painting with Light - ohn Alton, Todd McCarthy (Introduction)
ISBN: 0520089499

Placing Shadows - Chuck B. Gloman, Tom Letourneau
ISBN: 0240804090

Cinematography - Kris Malkiewicz, Jim Fletcher
ISBN: 0671762206

Practical Cinematography - Paul Wheeler
ISBN: 0240515552

Film Director's Team - Alain Silver, With Elizabeth Ward
ISBN: 1879505118

On Directing - Harold Clurman
ISBN: 0684826224

Setting up Your Shots - Jeremy Vineyard, Jose Cruz
ISBN: 0941188736

Directing Feature Films - Mark Travis
ISBN: 0941188434

Grammar of the Film Language - Daniel Arijon
ISBN: 187950507X

Every Frame a Rembrandt - Andrew Laszlo, Andrew Quicke
ISBN: 024080399X

Feature Filmmaking at Used-Car Prices - Rick Schmidt
ISBN: 0140291849

Story – Robert McKee
ISBN: 0060391685

From Word to Image - Marcie Begleiter
ISBN: 0941188280

Plots Unlimited - Tom Sawyer, Arthur D. Weingarten
ISBN: 0962747602

45 Master Characters - Victoria Lynn Schmidt
ISBN: 1582970696

The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Lewis Yewdall
ISBN: 0240805259

Those last three for sure are ones I hope to get. I'm sure theres more I'm interested in, but that covers most of it for now I guess. By the way, most of those books were picked from the packages listed in the bookstore at hollywoodu.com... I already have many he suggested, so I looked through the others and the books that weren't in packages and built up a quick list.

Hope that helps, damn it's long enough!

Oh yeah.. If you're interested in screenwriting, Buy Syd Field's books.. all of 'em. Granted I only have one, but I will eventually have them all. I do have his video about screenwriting though :D

Thinking about getting the dvd version of the 2-day filmschool that hollywoodu.com promotes. Apparently it is supposed to be a pretty good program. Sitting just shy of $400 it's riding proudly across the top of my x-mas wish list so it'll be the first thing the fam sees when I email it out. :lol:

If you have a family member that will buy you that Video Film School, I want to divorce my family and become part of yours.

Poke

haha ya well if I do it's probably mom & dad... or less likely, but still a remote possibility that my Grandma might. Most likely I'll be buying it myself. ;)

But, considering that Mom & Dad are thinking about getting everyone GPS's.. maybe I can get the DVD Film School.. :D

Last edited:
Damn Will.

The public school may have stunted your creative growth but it hasn't hindered your thirst for knowledge. That is one hell of a list. My Amazon wish list is about to get much longer.

hehe.. well I acquire a lot of books, but it's rare that I actually get around to reading through all of them. Speaking of which, I think it's time I get a bookshelf and organize my growing 'library' of Filmmaking related books (which amount to probably 90% of the books I own)

Back