• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

How do distributors send digital films to cinemas?

Hey guys,

I'm doing a thesis on digital distribution.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how a distribution company sends their (digital) feature film to cinemas to be projected? Is it via a secure network?

Also, if anyone has a citation or academic source, please let me know!

Thanks

If the theatre can't download the file, they're sent an encrypted hard drive. The files are heavily encrypted, and the keys are released 24 hours before release.

Hey guys,

I'm doing a thesis on digital distribution.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how a distribution company sends their (digital) feature film to cinemas to be projected? Is it via a secure network?

Also, if anyone has a citation or academic source, please let me know!

Thanks
I'm sure you used Wiki so you got the general idea. You know about DCP.
So your asking for someone else's academic research to site in you
thesis?

I'm sure you used Wiki so you got the general idea. You know about DCP.
So your asking for someone else's academic research to site in you
thesis?

Well the whole point of a thesis is to create a discussion about an issue, and to citate academic resources to reinforce your argument. It's not stealing academic research when its citated.

Anyway, thanks! I found a really interesting publication about location-based encryption technique that's used across a digital network (usually satellite) to transmit the data securely.

I did not accuse you of stealing. Just asked a question so I could possibly help.
Trying to understand what research you have already done so I don't mention
what you already know.

This isn't an argument. There are not sides of this issue. Distributors have
limited methods to get the files to the cinemas. Some (like Fathom Events)
use satellite) most use DCP.

I did not accuse you of stealing. Just asked a question so I could possibly help.
Trying to understand what research you have already done so I don't mention
what you already know.

This isn't an argument. There are not sides of this issue. Distributors have
limited methods to get the files to the cinemas. Some (like Fathom Events)
use satellite) most use DCP.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as hostile!

But thanks.

At least at my local theater, the DCP files are delivered not just on an encrypted hard drive, but a very specific type of hard drive. How this hard drive differs from the kinds you and I use, I have no idea. But it's not a normal hard drive.

Back