• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Looking for some advice

Am wondering if anyone can give some advice on how to get started making an independent film and how to get some money to back it?

Magnum--we just made our first one this year. I can share some of our experiences with you (but will need to do so later tonight when I have more time). Check back tonight, and welcome!

magnumone said:
Am wondering if anyone can give some advice on how to get started making an independent film and how to get some money to back it?
How much experience do you already have, magnumone?
Made any shorts or music videos?
Or is this your very first time making anything?

I'll start with my little list of 9 things I consider important:

1) Know your market.
What other movies like yours have been released?
Have you (the moviemaker) paid to rent or buy a movie like this?
If you haven’t - why do you think someone else will?

2) Better than average lighting.
DV is too easy to light. Take the time to get more than a clear, well lit image. Use light.

3) Clean production sound.
On no budget you simply cannot afford to have less than perfect dialogue tracks recorded on the set/location.

4) Very few locations.
Every moment you are loading or unloading equipment you are not shooting. Keep it to 2 to 5.
The exception is weekend shoots: if you are only shooting weekends, and you have 5 to 8 different weekends you can certianly have 5 - 8 different locations.

5) Have enough crew.
Make sure you have a least one person in charge of each department. Too few people will slow down a shoot.

6) The less you pay - the better the food.
But no matter what, on a low budget it is vitally important to feed your people well. They are doing YOU the favor.

7) Pay at least 3 people.
Sound mixer
Boom Op
First AD
You can always find a good DP willing to work for credit and a stipend. A good Mixer/Boom team is hard to find and essential to the final product. A good, experienced First will save you in time - something you can never get back. So...
7A) Pay 1 more.
Scripty. A good scripty will save you in post - something you will appreciate even if you’re cutting youself.

8) Take a lot of pictures.
An often overlooked, very important element to selling your movie is production and publicity shots.

9) Set aside enough money for a public screening.

Back