Just an observation

I am not trying to start a political thread. I have no desire to debate specific issues. Like you, I imagine, I have made up my mind on certain current events and there is very little that can be said that could change my mind.

What I would like to do is make an observation. A group of board members have rallied together, committed their time and energy to a cause that they feel worthy of there attention and until recently with out harresment. Indietalk regulars represent a broad sampling of people from around the world with greatly varying political feelings. From time to time regular posters have disagreed and the results were ugly. The war in Iraq is a very devisive issue and I am sure that there are many on this board who just can not lend their support to "Cinema Shorts for Soldiers." As is their right. What amazes me is the level of respect and restraint that those posters have shown, by not trying to derail the efferts of HTTK et al.

Perhaps it has been all the years I have spent in the customer service industry that has made me as cynical as I am, but I expect people to be behave rudely. So I didn't even notice when indietalk members were not.

Perhaps support for the troops is just an issue that most regulars can support or maybe indietalk regulars are for the most part a considerate, polite folk that can respect that others have opinions that vary from there own.

Now if only this well mannered behavior could cary on to meaniful discusions about specific issues, maybe you might have a chance in swaying me your way. There is nothing I would like more than open, honest, respectful discussion about the issues that as filmmakers you have the power to influence.

indietalk, moderators shut this thread down if you like. I can definatly see how this sort of discussion could digress into that ugly place that meaningful discusions always seem to go.

Even if you're for or against the war everyone should(and for the most part do) support the brave men and women that have volunteered to fight and die for america. I think the only time we've seen disdain for our troops was in Vietnam, When ungrateful citizens SPIT on our soldiers.

I agree Mikey.. people that I myself have butted heads with politically before are on the same side of this one..

It really goes to show that there still are some things in this world that can (and SHOULD) be viewed as totally non-partisan. ;)

Cheers to all, well pretty much all. ;)

I'm contributing to the DVD and I don't support the WAR! Everyone has there reason for contributing to the DVD. I look at it like this. If I was over there, I would hope that someone, anyone, would care about me. I can honestly say I hate Bush! But through all my hatred for WAR, Bush and our government I still care deeply for every human. I think this DVD is about letting a human in a very bad situation know that I care about them. :yes:

I agree Mikey.. people that I myself have butted heads with politically before are on the same side of this one..

It really goes to show that there still are some things in this world that can (and SHOULD) be viewed as totally non-partisan.

Cheers to all, well pretty much all.
I don't know if non-partisan is the right word. Clearly everyone who supports this project supports the troops regardless of how they feel about the war. I was more impressed that untill today complete respect for the project was shown regardless of how any member felt about the troops or the war. I am sure there are others who feel the same as Stefan Gray. They, unlike Stefan Gray, have choosen to respect that others may have different opinions. My comments were not directed at the virtue of the project, but rather the virute of the greater majority of members.

By and by, I happen to agree with most of what Stefan Gray had to say. I can only hope that in time Stefan Gray can learn to channel that intense passion into film. It is there that Stefan will have the most influence. Not rudely interupting a good deed, to which I have proudly made my contribution.

I think the only time we've seen disdain for our troops was in Vietnam, When ungrateful citizens SPIT on our soldiers.
If we learn nothing else from the Vietnam war I hope that it is to tell the differance between the soldiers who put their lives on the line and the politicians who put the soldiers lives on the line.

Yes ... when we get down to it, the majority of IndieTalk members are folks who respect each other and each other's opinions and projects. It's a shame that we had a voice of dissent on an obviously optimistic and worthy project, but you can't please everyone all of the time. I won't close this thread (at this point) ... political discussion in and of itself is healthy. What I have a problem with is when it devolves into "Well, my side is right because ..." arguments. This site is supposed to be about filmmakers helping each other, and arguing over war and taxes and budget deficits and health care and so on and so on and so forth and so forth really doesn't serve that purpose.

Poke

I quite agree with everything said here. Most especially with regard to Vietnam.

I'm NOT a supporter of the war but I think the project has great merit. It shows a great deal of respect and love for people (who are more important than any political agenda).

Back