Big leap for film?

This is still in the "still photography" phase, but who knows where it could go in a few years? :cool:

Here are some initial links to get the ball rolling.

GigaPxl

Sample Gallery

_______

Now, the basics is this.

They use a film camera that takes a 9" x 18" film.

They are working with Adobe and Leica (a company that makes hi-res scanners) to do even better.

Each image (or frame, if you would) is scanned (or 'cined, if you would) at 4 GigaPixels. (4, 000 MegaPixels)

Each scanned frame is 24-gigs in size.
smiley_mono.gif

_______

Now, what does that mean?

Actually, I don't know. But I bet some of the more technically-minded people of the board have some ideas about it.

Everyone is so very excited about the DV revolution that film has been considered a lost cause, to a lot of people. Could this be a turnaround? How effective a lead would film get, even if just using half-size (or quarter-size) film in a 24fps movie camera?

Have to have pretty big film magasines, i would guess. :lol:

Anyways... the look at the Gallery resolutions is pretty neat, if you don't get anything else from this.

Wow! If this would evolve into moving images you would no longer need to frame shots. Just point and shoot. With such a high resolution you can do all the framing later in post, as well as zooming, panning, etc within the frame!

You can see a man on his balcony standing up rom his chair... that's insane. I'm never standing naked at the window again!
This is amazing... imagine how this technology will make things so much easier. Video games, for instance can capture an entire city and have each block detailed.
Location scouting for movies could start with giant images, and you would be able to browse for buildings with suitable exteriors... this is really quite amazing.

Each frame is 24 GB's * 30 FPS = 720 GB's a second.

60 seconds a minute = 43,200 GB's a minute

90 minute feature film = 3,888,000 GB's (or just under 3797 TB's)

The biggest hard drive you can buy (I think anyway) is the LaCie Bigger Disk with Triple Interface with a whopping 1 terabyte capacity. Sells for just under $1000 USD.

Price to contain one 90 minute feature film = $3,797,000 USD (but I'm reletively sure if you buy in bulk the price will drop somewhat). :D

Is anybody here old enough to remember when Bill Gates was quoted as saying, "Nobody is going to need more than 500 megabytes for a hard drive..." ? LOL

Last edited:
"The photo's long exposure time of 1 hour and 15 minutes has resulted in several interesting artefacts in the photos."

Boz Uriel said:
Each frame is 24 GB's * 30 FPS = 720 GB's a second.

The biggest hard drive you can buy (I think anyway) is the LaCie Bigger Disk with Triple Interface with a whopping 1 terabyte capacity. Sells for just under $1000 USD.

Is anybody here old enough to remember when Bill Gates was quoted as saying, "Nobody is going to need more than 500 megabytes for a hard drive..." ? LOL

I'm old enough to remember the 1969 landing on the Moon.The computer on board the LEM was capable of holding today what would be the equivalent of a little over 1200 BYTES.

Back