To purchase on Ebay or not?

I have a question about purchasing software on Ebay. It looks like I will be able to buy the Premiere pro 1.5 (which appears to cost about 700.00 retail). There are several listings on Ebay for a 'Buy it Now' price of about 250-275. They claim the packages are legal, full versions which can be registered. I am definitely a novice when it comes to this area, but are these offers too good to be true? Thanks very much for any info you can pass on!

bird16 said:
are these offers too good to be true?

From my past experiances with ebay, i've never had a problem, but i have never ordered software from there. Usually the 'Buy it Now' is a lot safer then buying it from a person online. About the price... :seeya:

You're still in school or college, right? Why not pick up the "Educational Version" of the software? It's exactly the same as the full version, but with the condition that you not use it commercially.

Here is the student-price for Premiere Pro, by itself:

Premiere Pro - $240

Even better deal, if plonking down a few more bucks, is this:

Adobe Video Collection (Pro version) - $599

_______

Not sure on the Ebay thing...

But the price on the Prem Pro itself is cheaper than what you found on Ebay, and you'll also know for sure you are getting a legit copy.

The Video Collection looks like a good package but I'm no longer a student. I suppose that means the price goes back to 1500.00. I'll check around more on this collection-but it sure looks nice. Thanks for the information!

Ebay can be risky, buyer beware, look at seller feedback, and in particular, look for similar items, ie: look to see if the seller has sold this before and see if the feedback was good or bad for this particular product.

Typically software offered at deep discounts on eBay is either (a) educational version; (b) OEM version; or (c) resale copy.

As Zen pointed out, the educational version is usually fully functional but not intended to be used outside academia. This is considered "gray market" unless you're really using it for non-commercial educational purposes.

OEM versions are copies that are only supposed to be sold bundled with new computers or as part of some other promotional package. These are also "gray market" because they're sold in violation of their intened licensed use.

Used, or resold copies actually fall into the gray market, too. If you take the time to read the End User License Agreement (EULA), you don't actually purchase software. You purchase the right to use the software - and you don't have the legal right to transfer that license (or the software) to anyone else.

That being said, it's up the the indivdual's conscience whether or not to deal with gray market software.

That's excellent advice, Steve. I want to use only legal ware bacause the cel animation I'm working on has taken much time and I don't need to risk any legal action. If 700.00 is the cost, then that is what I'll pay to avoid any future problems! Thanks again! :)

Back