CG Feedback

Hey all, just wondering if I can get some input on the CG I'm working on at the moment for that Yellowcard video. This is essentially my first bit of dabbling with 3d modeling and such, so any feedback would be helpful.

Here's two shots of the model I'm working on. The lighting isn't set perfectly, but you should get the idea anyway..

First image (only lit from the modeled 'fixtures')
Second image (I added a couple additional lights to give a better look at what all is going on with the model.)

Does it look ok? Real enough? It's going to be flying by the screen fairly quick, so the realism doesn't have to be exact, but I want it to be pretty darn close, so that even on a freeze-frame it would look pretty good.

Thanks in advance. :)

The first one actually looks better to me. It's dark, but looks more realistic. Great job. Maybe brighten the lights that are there already, but don't add more lights.

I would stay away from bright red if I were you anyway. It bleeds on certain TV's etc.

Is this for that contest, BTW?

Nice but it could use better textures! The key to realistic 3D is in the texture mapping and lighting. Shoot some high res photos of signs and make textures from that. When you render it use rendrman for Maya or Mental Ray for Studio MAX.This will up the quality. Lastly make sure you use motion blur when you animate the camera. Hope this helps.

Peace,
Chris
:yes:

Ya, it's for the contest. There are textures there, but you can't see them that well because the camera isn't close enough...

Also, I'm using Lightwave, not Maya or 3dsmax.. ;) It's render engine is plenty badass on its own. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll throw another closer shot up so you can (hopefully) see the textures.

Ok, I think I pretty well have the lighting set now for this portion of the model.. keep in mind it's still not the complete model, and it's also only going to be on screen for 5 seconds, or less. ;)

Here's That Link

And, just for Chris, a close up... Ahhh.. texture.

Well.. ok, the red letters don't have texture, 'cuz I am going for that plasticy red letters on the marquee sign look.. I think they look pretty decent as is. but that's just my opinion. ;)

Guess it's time to work on the rest of this building. :D

Last edited:
-=] Bump [=-

Got a couple new renders to share, feedback appreciated as always. :) Thanks in advance

1st Concept of building
Current Concept of building

As you can see I've added some sky, still no ground, or anything else, but it's coming, slowly but surely..

I really need to set up a little render farm or something, this machine is just a pig. :( Render time with Lightwaves "Enhanced Low" setting for Anti-Aliasing: 18m 21s

I suppose it could be worse.. there's just shy of 86000 polygons in the scene so far, and that's with only one of probably at least six buildings, and two of probably 20 or so of those street lights. I'm curious to see what the final poly count will be, and what the average render time per frame will be for the finished animation. Not looking forward to that. 600+ frames, probably a couple days of rendering, if not more. Must be time for an upgrade. ;)

Here's another closeup, showing the textures of the window and building I turned off a bunch of stuff to render this faster.. the reflection of the sky isn't raytraced, and since none of them affected the scene I turned off all the volumetric lighting.. this one rendered in about 1 minute. Anyhoo.. off to school for me.

Last edited:
Back