Episode III

I like trh trailer and I think it won't suck. It looks to be based a lot on OTHELLO... lots of jealousy over Natalie Portman's abs. Was it my imagination, or was Palpatine wielding Ye Olde Red Lightsabre for the first time?

Didn't notice the saber, but I did catch the cinnabun hair-do. Oh.. and was that chewy? I have stayed away from the spoiler sites so I know only the basics of the story. I'm trying not to build up expectations as that inevatably leads to let down.

I have to mention that the CG effects are HORRIBLE!!!! I will go see this movie, but why do all the special effects STILL look like video game crap?! Episode I was bad, but the effects looked very real. Why are the effects in this teaser so bad? That shot of R2D2 is obviously CG, Yoda looks so bad, and the space ships don't look half as good as the miniatures in the origional movies...why? Do they need the folks from Pixar to go help them out? Honestly!

Sorry. Had to rant.

I tend to agree that they should have used the minitures all the way through.. but ya know Lucas wants to use all his toys.

Why are the effects in this teaser so bad? That shot of R2D2 is obviously CG, Yoda looks so bad, and the space ships don't look half as good as the miniatures in the origional movies

smiley_creepy.gif

Oh... I dunno...

FYI kids... most of the spaceships are still physical models except in distant shots & mass battles (and most "hero" ships are still models, not CGI.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Just saw the teaser for STAR WARS III. I think it looks good.

For a teaser, they sure are showing us a lot. Vader being created, Darth Sidious (I think) swinigng a red lightsabre for the first time ever, Natalie Portman with the two danish hair buns, Obi Wan and Annakin fighting near Laval (gee I wonder how Annakin gets scarred and burnt), and lots of Wookiees.

I am curious about 2 things that are still a mystery.

1. Is Darth Sidious Palpatine and he is just really good an concealing it, or is it a split personality, or a re-incarnation of an old Sith Spirit (the previously mention by Lucas in TIME magazine "Darth Bane") that either took over a the nice old Senator Palpatine, or was Palpatine an illusion fro the Sith from the get-go?

2. "The Trials" have been mentioend for 2 consecutive movies. Will Annakin take the trails & fail? Will they ignore it entirely? OBi-Wan got out of it for hacking Darth Maul in half, but little Annakin claims he was ready to take the Jedi trials in Episode II. Will he do it, or skip out of it trying to hack Obi-Wan in half?

REVENGE OF THE SITH looks like it will have that little bit of OTHELLO to the plot to help piss off the little Hayden guy as Ewan McGregor hits on Natalie Portman's AMIDALA, or at least that's how the once & future Emporer will make it look to Vader.

To this day I still say "Phantome Menace" is faaaaaarrrrrr better than that crappy "Return of the Jedi". Removing sentimentality, the prequels aren't that much worse than the originals. It's not meant to be a life affirming piece of art, it's gumball generic action set in a fantasy world.

sonnyboo said:
To this day I still say "Phantome Menace" is faaaaaarrrrrr better than that crappy "Return of the Jedi". Removing sentimentality, the prequels aren't that much worse than the originals. It's not meant to be a life affirming piece of art, it's gumball generic action set in a fantasy world.

THANK YOU!!!

I've been saying this forever!

MAS SPOILERITOS!

I was fortunate enough to get to see the trailer about eight times yesterday. We got it at work on the feed, and we recorded it and took it into the edit bay with the best speakers and watched it over and over again. We went through most of it frame by frame.

I liked the use of Obi Wan's speech from Ep 4, and the use of footage from Episodes 1, 2 and 4. Yeah, some of the CGI work looks bad, but the trailers for Ep. 1 and 2 had bad looking CGI in them that turned out to look really good in the movie. They still have 7 months before the release. I liked the shot of the Emperor with a light sabre. I liked seeing Artoo and 3PO in the hallway that looked similar to the hallway that they (and Vader) are first spotted in in Ep. 4. I liked the footage of Annakin and Obi Wan going at it - that should be an awesome fight! I liked the Wookies, but wished they wouldn't have shown so much of them. I liked Amidala's bun do. I wasn't too miffed that they actually showed Vader - I mean we all know he becomes Vader. I liked the shots of the battle of Coriscant (sp?), I hope a Star Destroyer - a Star Destroyer ancestor - crashes into the planet (ala Ep. 6).

About the only thing that irked me (and this was actually pointed out by Dr. Weiner) was Vader's wrists. They looked too small. I question the use of Hayden in the suit ... His body type just doesn't fit.

I saw the trailer again last night on The Incredibles (freakin' awesome movie!), and it looked spectacular on the big screen!

Poke

sonnyboo said:
FYI kids... most of the spaceships are still physical models except in distant shots & mass battles (and most "hero" ships are still models, not CGI.

Well, I have the trailer saved on my computer. I can tell you right now that the ships in the trailer are CG. I wish I couldn't tell, but I can...and the shot of all the clone troopers from episode II was pretty bad too. Oh well. I still enjoy these movies. I just wish the effects were as good as Episode I. Remember those effects? They were superb (although they didn't save the movie). Maybe they looked better in epidsode I because it was shot on film or something...who knows.

According to ILM they space ships are still mostly models. I don't think you can justify it from a highly compressed quicktime file from the web.

I will not argue after this statement, since we cannot actually know (unless you have proof of those particular shots being non-CG)...but you said "MOSTLY models". All the ships in the trailer axcept one look extremely fake. I've never heard of a miniature looking like it's CG. It is quite obvious to me. I have seen these types of effects millions of times. I refuse to think those are models. They are obviously (to me) not.

The two large ships shooting over the city planet are SOOOOOO CG, as is the one crashing and being hosed down. That R2D2 shot is so horrible. It almost looks like the robot is stretching like a cartoon. That's all I'm going to say.

To this day I still say "Phantome Menace" is faaaaaarrrrrr better than that crappy "Return of the Jedi". Removing sentimentality, the prequels aren't that much worse than the originals. It's not meant to be a life affirming piece of art, it's gumball generic action set in a fantasy world
Yeah I know your right. It's not the sentimentality that is the problem for me. Rather its that I was seven(....eight?) when "return.." was in theaters and to me it was life affirming art. In my heart I know that it is unrealistic of me to expect the prequals to have that same kind of magic. I just can't help being let down when they don't.

Uhmm... I just reread that last bit, and... I admit it, it is sentimentality.

Besides isn't the success of these films banking on the sentimentality of all of us twenty and thirty somethings. Aren't we the ones going back over and over again. Aren't we the ones that are purchasing the videos and DVDs. Aren't we the ones buying up the figures and the video games. I just seems to me that this trilogy could have never stood on its on.

All of that having been said, I will be there for the midnight show in May, although I will be leaving the wookie suit at home. :lol:

Mikey D said:
although I will be leaving the wookie suit at home. :lol:

Sure, sure... you say that now.... :cool:

_______

I'm not looking forward to this new episode at all.

I applaud Mr Lucas for all the advances he has made in the field of film and SFX, and sound, and... well, basically everything he has done to invent a lot of tools for cinema use that many take for granted these days.

He has done an amazing job, essentially inventing the way many effects and shots are done... not to mention marketing.

I still think he's a "one-hit wonder" when it comes to telling a story, though.

I also am rather bitter at his blatant hipocrosy in his efforts to preserve classic films and protect them from being altered in any fashion... and his delightful abandon in doing the very same to his own films.

But I think Mr Lucas wraps it up best, when he explains to his fans...

I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it.

Lucas didn't direct Indiana Jones. Speilberg did. Lucas is a great concept guy. He can fully realise the concept from start to finish but when it comes to writing and directing he aint nothing special.

I think slacker's onto something. Lucas has a great imagination, but sometimes he needs other people to make his ideas more easy to digest for his audience.

I'm still a huge fan of his, though. His movies aren't always for everyone, but I love them (except Episode I).

the wording was "telling a story" not director

see the quote above.

There's no denying the Irvin Kershner, Spielberg, and Ron Howard are far better direrctor's and can take George's ideas & make a far superior movie. NO ONE can deny that....

Back