Location Location Location...

I know that "scouting" for film sites is part of the fun of indie film making, but I would like to know if anyone here knows of a site online where The State of California or a Gov/Park dept has a website for Great Filming sites.

I want to do a Desert scene without having to go all the way to La La Land or Bakersfield. Thought Fresno and Stockton valley get pretty hot.. they're far from a desert looking enviorment.

Im sure there has to be at least one Location in Northern Cali near San Francisco that has such an area.

If you know of such a website, please post. Google hasn't been very friendly in my quest.

You need to pony up an insurance policy, though.

The STAR programme has lots of buildings and lots to use as well, for free... though you end up paying for a state-rep to supervise.

Could always use the guerilla "run & gun" method.. and just <ahem> 'steal' the location, for lack of a better term. :)

Otherwise couldn't you look at a topographical, or similar map, to get an idea of where desert type areas might be?

Though you will need location releases if you ever make it big with your movie and want to sell it to a distributor.

Try the Reno area...

King Goldfish said:
I know that "scouting" for film sites is part of the fun of indie film making, but I would like to know if anyone here knows of a site online where The State of California or a Gov/Park dept has a website for Great Filming sites.

I want to do a Desert scene without having to go all the way to La La Land or Bakersfield. Thought Fresno and Stockton valley get pretty hot.. they're far from a desert looking enviorment.

Im sure there has to be at least one Location in Northern Cali near San Francisco that has such an area.

If you know of such a website, please post. Google hasn't been very friendly in my quest.

I come from Northern California even though I'm now in New Mexico... I did a lot of scouting... All the way up to the Oregon border... I know of NO web sites, but there's a LOT of desert up in the Reno area... You can just about take any highway out of Reno (except 80 back to California) and find plenty of desert to shoot in... I shot some really good stuff in the desert on Highway 50 going toward Fallon, NV.

filmy

FilmJumper said:
I come from Northern California even though I'm now in New Mexico... I did a lot of scouting... All the way up to the Oregon border... I know of NO web sites, but there's a LOT of desert up in the Reno area... You can just about take any highway out of Reno (except 80 back to California) and find plenty of desert to shoot in... I shot some really good stuff in the desert on Highway 50 going toward Fallon, NV.

filmy

Yes, I actually thought about that after I posted. I remember Black Rock Desert (Burning man festival) is near there.

I was hoping for something closer. But hey.. 200 Miles isnt to far. I can go gambling and party up the night afterwards. Just tell my wife Im gonna camp out. ;)

i'll post shots if I decide to do it later this year in December.

Back