So you think you've got a movie?

Hey guys. New to the board. Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I've always been interested in "creating", not necessarily a novel, or a play, etc., but just the act of putting thoughts onto paper and going from there. Consequently, I've written music, feature stories, short stories, etc.

I never really thought about film making because it always seemed to me that Hollywood et al was more interested in making slasher films/popcorn movies. So any ideas I'd crank out, I'd automatically shoot down.

Then, the other day, I was hit over the head with a tire iron...

OK. Not really...

BUT, I've got this one idea just sticking in my brain and I have a feeling it could work. So I guess my question is, "Where do I go from here?" I just put it down on paper and send it around? How do I generate attention for it, or will the quality of the work ultimately determine its' fate?

Any thoughts?

Quality of work is of course very key. I'm looking around for a feature script to purchase if you have any around BTW :D

First, write the story down - in any form you like ... script, short or novel length fiction, etc.

Second, worry about the rest.

Seriously, get the idea down first.

Poke

DocShagbird said:
Hey guys. New to the board. Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I've always been interested in "creating", not necessarily a novel, or a play, etc., but just the act of putting thoughts onto paper and going from there. Consequently, I've written music, feature stories, short stories, etc.

I never really thought about film making because it always seemed to me that Hollywood et al was more interested in making slasher films/popcorn movies. So any ideas I'd crank out, I'd automatically shoot down.

Then, the other day, I was hit over the head with a tire iron...

OK. Not really...

BUT, I've got this one idea just sticking in my brain and I have a feeling it could work. So I guess my question is, "Where do I go from here?" I just put it down on paper and send it around? How do I generate attention for it, or will the quality of the work ultimately determine its' fate?

Any thoughts?

The way I see it, here are your choices...

1) Write it up as a pitch and try to pitch it to some studios... This can now be easily done since there are lots of pitching sessions going on in Smell-A... Of course you have to pay for the privilege but if it is a great idea, you might just be able to sell it to a studio... The problem here however, is coming up with a fantastic pitch... Most screenwriters I know do not have a clue on how to pitch to a studio... They stumble through the pitch and in less than 30 seconds, the studio execs are yawning... So... you really have to boil your whole idea down to about a 3 minute pitch and I know people that REHEARSE their pitches for a few months BEFORE ever actually pitching it to an exec...

2) Write the idea down in whatever story form you are experienced in and then try to find a screenwriter that can turn it into a screenplay... Of course if you do this, you'll have to share the "screenplay by" credit unless you work out a solid deal beforehand... However, I personally wouldn't turn someone's story into a screenplay unless I got paid something up front as well as got the entire "screenplay by" credit... You of course would retain "story by" credit no matter what... The problem here is finding a competent screenwriter to work with.

3) Write the idea down in whatever story form you are experienced in and then try to find a screenwriter who's willing to write it WITH you. That way, you have consistent input on the continuing process... Again, the problem here is finding a competent screenwriter... One way to find a competent screenwriter however, is to read at least one of their screenplays... Unfortunately, you need to know what comprises a good screenplay... Most people do not.

4) Write the idea down in whatever story form you are experienced in and then learn how to turn it into a screenplay on your own... The problem here is that there is no guarantee that your screenplay will turn out well.

--The quality of the work will DEFINITELY determine the idea and or the screenplay's fate. Good scripts go to the top of the heap no matter who you are... Crappy scripts get shredded. The other problem with a crappy script (at least in Hollywood) is that it gets you put on a list with other crappy screenwriters. This list is SHARED by almost every studio in Hollywood as well as many Agents... Don't get on that list!

filmy

Back