Creating a Complete Film Package for Investors

To whom it may concern,

I’ve got a huge question here. For those of you who know I would really like a straight answer. I’ve gotten a lot of people who don’t know what they are talking about or else it’s just “Let’s make the newbie suffer” mentality that I’ve gotten so I am really frustrated here.

I need to know up front, what is considered the best way to build a complete film package that investors (Whether private or foreign governments interested in a blocked-funds deal) will want to look at and be comfortable with. How do you go about creating that complete package if you don’t have at least SOME funding already in place?

Please let me know here. I am about ready to pull out my hair as I’ve been doing some research but as I’ve said, I can’t seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

Thanks,

dawntreader3

An investment proposal is a huge undertaking and there are hundreds of books out there that address the questions WAY better than posts on a messageboards.

Since I’ve been involved in several, I can offer a little help and advice. But first a few questions for you:

Have you done all the marketing research the investors are going to need to look at?

Do you have a completed line item budget?

How experienced are you? How many movies have you finished? How many of them have been in festivals or released in some way?

Same question regarding other people already involved? DP, actors, producer, editor.

Since asking for money will ultimately involve the Government (taxes, BDA’s, corporate status, business licenses) do you have access to a lawyer?

It can be confusing and frustrating - but it’s a great experience.

Hi there,

Thanks for your quick reply. I realize that there are alot of books out there about investment proposals. A proposal for investment really wasn't what I was asking about though. What I am talking about is when a producer says the word "package" I understand that he could be talking about two seperate things. Either a development package that has an investment proposal, (And I think I am correct is saying that a Private Prosepctus Memorandum is an Investment proposal. If I am wrong please set me straight.) And that has a Concept, Treatment, possibly the whole script etc.

Or he could be talking about a Producer's Package in which includes a means to show potential studios or governments (in trying to work out either a studio or negative pick up deal) that you have name talent and crew personnel.

Now, I will be honest, I don't have tons of experience and I am trying to learn as quickly and as efficiently as I can. I have read several books including 43 Ways to Finance Your Film by John Cones and Independent Feature Film Production "A Complete Guide From Concept Through Distribution" by Gregory Goodell.

but both books include terms (Like the development package and the Producers Package) which I have been having a hard time finding explanations for, let alone a step by step method for gathering the necessary documents or step by step method of how you go about creating some of these things that seem to be so necessary.

If you've got any other advice on either books that "break it down" into the exact "how to" or if you've got personal advice I would love to hear it!

Thanks man,

dawntreader3

directorik said:
An investment proposal is a huge undertaking and there are hundreds of books out there that address the questions WAY better than posts on a messageboards.

Since I’ve been involved in several, I can offer a little help and advice. But first a few questions for you:

Have you done all the marketing research the investors are going to need to look at?

Do you have a completed line item budget?

How experienced are you? How many movies have you finished? How many of them have been in festivals or released in some way?

Same question regarding other people already involved? DP, actors, producer, editor.

Since asking for money will ultimately involve the Government (taxes, BDA’s, corporate status, business licenses) do you have access to a lawyer?

It can be confusing and frustrating - but it’s a great experience.

RE: Package...

dawntreader3 said:
Hi there,

Thanks for your quick reply. I realize that there are alot of books out there about investment proposals. A proposal for investment really wasn't what I was asking about though. What I am talking about is when a producer says the word "package" I understand that he could be talking about two seperate things. Either a development package that has an investment proposal, (And I think I am correct is saying that a Private Prosepctus Memorandum is an Investment proposal. If I am wrong please set me straight.) And that has a Concept, Treatment, possibly the whole script etc.

Or he could be talking about a Producer's Package in which includes a means to show potential studios or governments (in trying to work out either a studio or negative pick up deal) that you have name talent and crew personnel.

Now, I will be honest, I don't have tons of experience and I am trying to learn as quickly and as efficiently as I can. I have read several books including 43 Ways to Finance Your Film by John Cones and Independent Feature Film Production "A Complete Guide From Concept Through Distribution" by Gregory Goodell.

but both books include terms (Like the development package and the Producers Package) which I have been having a hard time finding explanations for, let alone a step by step method for gathering the necessary documents or step by step method of how you go about creating some of these things that seem to be so necessary.

If you've got any other advice on either books that "break it down" into the exact "how to" or if you've got personal advice I would love to hear it!

Thanks man,

dawntreader3

I think you're definitely talking about a Producer's Package here... The best way to go about this would be of course to find a reputable producer who believes enough in your project to help you put the package together... This happens all the time in Hollywood. The problem you have in putting it together yourself is of course your own rep... Do you even have one? If not, then your first step is to shop your script around to as many producers as you can until you find one that will get behind it. If they are reputable and experienced, they will know how to get the talent attached to the project. They will create a budget sheet. Then, they will go around to all their studio contacts and attempt to sell the package to them... You can attempt to go about doing this on your own however, making appointments to see production company execs is going to be hard... Almost certainly, if you can even get your foot in the door, you'll need to be prepared to pitch the idea to them in 3 minutes or less and maybe even fax them over 10 pages of the script... So, not really knowing what you have at this point, it's a little hard to give really good advice...

filmy

Luke,

thank you for the link to claddagh. I very much appreciate it. I will definitely take a good long look at everything the site has to say about development packages.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like there were people making fun of me here on this forum. I have been at others (Namely, some yahoo groups) where I didn't get any info that I needed really. It was more of a gathering of wannabes who didn't know anything (like me) but who acted as if they were "in" the know. It made me angry and made me want to find a place where real professionals didn't have a problem in giving advice to people who are relatively new to the producing aspect of filming.

so...once again, thanks.

dawntreader3

Lefteye said:
Hey dawntreader,
in my experience, this isn't the type of forum where people make fun of the noob.

Anyways, I've used this site in the past. The author is from Ireland, but the concepts are the same.

http://www.claddagh.ie/forum/develop.html

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Luke

Goodell’s book has been a big help to me, glad you’ve read it.

I’m still confused as to what exactly you need help with.

You say you need a step by step method for gathering these documents. I’d be glad to help you, but you’re going to need to answer the questions I asked in order for me to procede.

What do you have right now?

What documents to you need step by step methods for? Shooting schedule? Budget? Resumes? Market research?

Help me out here and I’ll be glad to offer what ever help I can.

“Let’s make the newbie suffer” mentality
Was running late.

Reporting for duty, sah!
smiley_piratriot.gif

(I got nothin')

Dawntreader3,

I read a lot of books regarding that subject but I will tell you this; "From Reel to Deal: Everything you need to create a successful Independent Film" by Dov S-Simens is a great read. Pick it up at Amazon. I's sure you can get a used copy.

Do your research. Thank God for the internet. You'll need a synopsis, top sheet (budget top page), box office list (the films similar to yours - their budget and gross), the distributors you plan to approach, your market (who are you targeting), story boards, cast and crew etc. These are the things I can think of right now.

Back