Digital Video, Ikegami, D-9, what the hell?

I'm not an idiot, but right now I feel like one. I just had an interview for a job to produce a series of documentary features for a community college that just got a grant. I'm in the running with 3 other filmmakers and my prospects look pretty good. I have a documentary of my own under my belt and my other shorts look pretty impressive, if not professional.

So I'm in this interview exuding confidence answering questions in that 'I know what I'm talking about' tone until the interviewer mentions that they have an "ikegami d-9." I probably blinked and muttered an "mmm hhmm" and as he went on with the rest of the equipment that they had at their disposal, my mind kept going "what kinda camera is an ikegami, what did he mean d-9?" I went on to explain that I had expirence shooting in Beta SP, and that seemed to satisfy him (when in doubt go with what you know) the rest of the interview went fine. I had a tour of the facilities and there it was this alien camera that looked almost exactly like the Beta SP cameras that I was used to. I heafted it, looked over the various controls and breathed a sigh of relief. Then they showed me the tape and I was again confused, but played it off as if I had seen a million before. The tape looked like a gray beefed up VHS tape.

So what is the first thing I did when I got home? I looked up all those strange terms on the internet. And I'm afriad to report that, while I am now a little more informed, I still feel clueless. I do know that the camera I looked at is definately professional and very expensive. I think D-9 has something to do with Digital-S, but I say those things and they mean nothing to me. I feel like I'm reading Greek, or perhaps I should say Japanese.

Can anyone clarify this and give me a simple run down of what I might be dealing with? Are there any books or web sites out there that anyone can recommend. I think it's just the format that I'm most confused about. I'm sure I'll be fine with the camera, I just want to sleep better at night knowing what I'm dealing with.

Katie

"D-9 is a cost-effective 50 Mbps 4:2:2 ½ - inch component solution. The format, also known as Digital S is standardised by SMPTE as D-9."

Here's a link to the specs of the JVC Dockable D-9 VTR (I think they're the only ones that make it?) link

The big deal with this D-9 is apparently the record quality boost you get.. it uses 4:2:2, which has half the color compression of 4:1:1, used by standard DV. It's supposed to produce a visibly better result. So you get a better input quality, and that makes all your output (DVDs, etc) better, because you're starting off with less compression on the video data. :)

This is the best web page I've found for you.

Here's an excerpt:
JVC's D-9 (formerly known as Digital-S) and Panasonic's DVCPRO50 use two DV codecs in parallel. The tape data rate is doubled to 50 Mbps (video) and the compression work is split between the two codecs. The result is a 4:2:2 image compressed about 3.3:1. It's visually lossless and utterly gorgeous. Think of Digital Betacam at a bargain price.

Last edited:
Back