View Full Version : what does this mean, please!

vvalverde
10-23-2004, 03:35 PM
hello everyone! well i have a question. I am working on a film and we were getting some proposals from production companies that have d.p's, gaffers, etc for hire and on the proposal it had a day rate and then a weekly rate. but then the weekly rate had an asterik and it said, and I quote " as is customary in the industry, all weekly charges are based on three days". now my question is does that mean that they will work the entire week (in our case 6 days) for the price of 3 days or does it mean something else?

Okay i know you are prolly wondering why I just didn't ask them....well i didn't want to sound like I was ENTIRELY clueless. so if anyone can answer this for me, I would love you! also is that really customary?

thanx everyone

Vanessa

indietalk
10-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Yes that's what it means. 3 day weeks are common (usually for equipment rental). Ask for a 2 day week, who knows. ;) On my last shoot I got a 1 day week on camera rental (Arriflex package).

vvalverde
10-23-2004, 03:40 PM
thanx for clearing that up. and I am gonna try for that 2 day week also. you're right...the worst they can say is no :yes:

Will Vincent
10-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Really? So when they say a "__ day week" that's the number of days you have to pay for, not the number of days you can make 'em work? Cool!

Zensteve
10-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Yep.

When I found that out, it changed my point of view on the "own vs. rent" debate in several instances.

Will Vincent
10-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Now if only the lab's and transfer people could be talked into doing their processing on a "1 frame reel" basis we'd be set! :)