Which is the better deal:

PV-GS120 for $690

or

PV-GS200 for $890

both include:

- 256MB SD Card
- Wide Angle Lens
- Telephoto Lens
- 3 Filters (Polarizing, UV, and Flourescent)
- Tripod
- Case
- Cleaning Kit
- 5 MiniDV tapes

I'm thinking the 200 is the better deal, but curious what you all think.

Hmm.. I'm surprised nobody has had any input on this one... oh well.. I think I'm gonna go with the 200... from what I've been able to find specs wise, it seems to have a bit higer resolution, and the manual focus is a nice addition.. all in all it seems that it will probably last longer before I "outgrow" it.

Shorts for now.. but will be doing a feature within the next year... or at least that's the plan.. whenever I actually write the screenplay..

By the way, that looks like a similar package, but to get all the filters and lenses this other deal offers would end up costing more. ;)

I know there were some people here touting the quality of the GS120, which is just a step down from this, so I can only imagine this would be at least equivelant to that.

Last edited:
I believe (dont quote me on this) that the 200 has more manual controls. I could be wrong though.

Personally I think they will both give you very similar results. Both are good for the price.

Well... I did it.. Here's what I got... (Saved a couple bucks by getting the one with a small SD card.. don't need a big one anyway, I have a Digital Still Camera, and that's about all the SD card would do for me anyway.)

Also looking into getting a Super 8 Camera and Projector.. :)

But, I suppose that can wait a bit.

I have the GS120, you made the right choice

Will Vincent said:
Well... I did it.. Here's what I got... (Saved a couple bucks by getting the one with a small SD card.. don't need a big one anyway, I have a Digital Still Camera, and that's about all the SD card would do for me anyway.)

Also looking into getting a Super 8 Camera and Projector.. :)

But, I suppose that can wait a bit.

You made the right choice! I wish I had had the extra $200 to get the GS200 at the time but didn't. I went with the GS120. You can see some of the things I've done with it here:
http://cootdogproductions.com/Scarred
http://cootdogproductions.com/Indie
http://cootdogproductions.com

I really wanted that manual focus ring, but no coffee.

Can't wait to see some of your shorts. I made my first one the day after I got the cam. It's called "Lightning".
Didn't really even know how to use the cam but still used it... That Wide Angle add on lense is awesome! It's on there almost all the time.
Make sure you light your subjects, and light them well.

hehe.. I didn't really have the extra $200 to throw at it either.. but I figured if I don't spend the extra that I can't really afford to spend.. I'll wish I had later. Kinda like How I wish I'd have gotten something better than my Hi8 Canon last year or the year before.. whenever I bought it.. oh well

Now I just need to get off my butt and start writing!

Woohoo.. my GS200 came today! I was surprised as how tiny it is.. the pics on ebay made it look bigger. Oh well.. seems to produce a good pic. Hopefully i'll get some time to play with it this weekend. Anyhoo, off to work I go. :(

I work to much.

Will Vincent said:
Given the choice between the two...

Which is the better deal:

PV-GS120 for $690

or

PV-GS200 for $890

both include:

- 256MB SD Card
- Wide Angle Lens
- Telephoto Lens
- 3 Filters (Polarizing, UV, and Flourescent)
- Tripod
- Case
- Cleaning Kit
- 5 MiniDV tapes

I'm thinking the 200 is the better deal, but curious what you all think.

So this is a Used GS200 and 120?

I just bought mine at Sears for 690 about 4 months ago.

umm I got a 8MB Card
Wide Angle Lens?
Telephoto Lens? i think like 8x zoom
I got no tripod, case or cleaning kit and no Tape. so where are you getting this? its just a tiny little palm corder that fits in my pocket and takes near Broadcast quality video. 540 lines of horz res and very nice coloration from it with out any grainy distortion. Good Camera, but I dont recall my lens having an option to be removed for a wide angle one. Unless yours is coming with a kit or they updated it.

hehe.. I'll be shooting a bit tonight.. not that it will really be worth much. Mostly just gonna take some pix and such I think. Assuming I go to the nightclub. ;)

Grrr I have to get these damn websites done this weekend, and it's already half over.

Why'd they give me all the extra stuff? Who knows.. they're from Brooklyn, maybe it all "fell off a truck" or something..

I'm not going to bother reading all of the posts, so if this is already posted- sorry.

I know for a fact that the 200 has 3 1/6" CCDs with 800K pixels, rather than the 120, which has 3 1/6" CCDs with 460K pixels.

The 200 also features a manual focus ring.

So, if you can afford it, get the 200.

I saw some posts above that purchased from ebay pro packages, which is what I'd recommend doing.

EDIT: Nvm, I see you've already purchased it. Nice!

Back