How to save .jpg in Final Cut Pro?

Sure.

In the "Modify" menu, select "Make Freeze Frame"
Pull that freeze frame into the time line
In the "File" menu, select "Export" - select "Using QuickTime Conversion"
In the "Format" menu select "Still Image" - in the "Options" menu select "jpeg"

In the pull down menu select "jpeg"

Thanks. That did the trick. They sure make you jump through a few hoops. It's strange that some of the files I save doing this proceedure turn out blank (no picture). Maybe I need to possition the cursor in the middle of the file in the timeline before saving. ?

Easier way to expeft to jpg

You don't have to "Make Freeze Frame." Use that if you want to make a new media file that you can manipulate in FCP (as with the other media files in your bin)

1. In the Canvas or Viewer position the playhead on the frame you want to export
2. Chooose File > Export > Using Quicktime Conversion
3. Select Still Image as Format
4. Select jpg in Options Menu

I'm sorry I'm on a PC now and don't have FCP to look at. I don't remember what other jpg settings you can choose from there. I.E. - you can just ignore the frames per second setting.

I'd be glad to clarify anything else...

There's an even harder way to do it, if you make the canvas full size, then open up the application "grab" then grab the screen shot of whatever you want and save that. . . but I wouldn't recommend it. . .

Just another option I suppose. . . . .

directorlca said:
There's an even harder way to do it, if you make the canvas full size, then open up the application "grab" then grab the screen shot of whatever you want and save that. . . but I wouldn't recommend it. . .

Just another option I suppose. . . . .

r u talking about vegas or FCP?

I'm talking about FCP, but there's a program that comes with the operating system called "grab", it'll save what you see on the screen. Hehe, it's a silly way to do it, but another way nontheless.

King Goldfish said:
r u talking about vegas or FCP?

Grab is an OSX app

Grab is an application that comes free with Mac OS X (and it lets you capture images of your screen in quite a few ways). Unless you use a Mac, that is not going to help you. There are programs out there for windows that can do similar tasks, but if you want to export images from your video edition application, I would use the proper exporting methods. Using a program like Grab is great if you want to capture windows of your editing application as well (ie. if you want to create a tutorial with images).

directorlca said:
I'm talking about FCP, but there's a program that comes with the operating system called "grab", it'll save what you see on the screen. Hehe, it's a silly way to do it, but another way nontheless.

Oh.. Kind of like Winblows OS version of prnt-scrn :P

I got Camtasia that can do it too.

Also I just relized Vegas in the capture mode has a snapshot mode.

and when in editing mode you can click the little floppy disk icon and it will save the vid frame as well.

lots of ways to do it. I just don't use macs. I wish I could, but 3DS max doesnt run on max without a emulator and I hear it runs choppy and drops frames.

Macs are great computers from editing though. PCs are catching up in speed.

Good luck with that stuff.

Back