Music rights

I am currently putting together a porfolio of short films and videos that I can submit to production companies and record companies. Quick question: even if I use copyrighted music for films that won't be screened at a festival, only for producers, agents, etc. do I still need to go through the whole begging process of getting a musician to allow me to use their work. It may sound like a stupid question, but I'd rather know now than regret it heavily later.

As long as it's not being shown for direct profit, I doubt there'd be a problem. However, since you'd technically be using someone else's work (music) to help yourself obtain a job... you may be better off getting those clearances signed. I've found most (smaller) labels will grant you a gratis license for non-profit use of their artists' work.

Yes!

Let's say you talk to a band and they let you shoot a video and use their song. Then you take that video, with their music to record company and pitch it to them. They find out that you didn't have permission to use the song. A law suit ensues and you loose it all...

Let's say you talk to a band and they say it's OK to make the video. You go and get permission from the record company and make a video. You then pitch the video to the company and they like it. They cut you a check for $10,000 and have you sign over all rights.

Which outcome is better?
in fact you should get releases from every actor that is in the video EVEN IF IT:S YOUR PARENTS, SISTER, BROTHER, BEST FRIEND, anyone. because it would just take one of them to get pissed off at you 8 years later and sue the record company. Then that company will come down on you even harder. Get all those contracts signed. SonnyBoo has stories he can tell you... check out his site and read them.

:contract: :yes:

I would say that showing the work to one or two people at a time for no profit isn't even illegal. If you are simply mailing it to someone who will look at the video and not distribute it, there's little to no danger. If those producers then put it on the internet/TV/Theaters/DVD/whatever...Then you WILL have a problem.

Otherwise, a lawsuit would probably never happen...even if the musicians found out...but if you want to cover all of your bases, then try to get permission...

Back