Camera for a school project

Now I've been on your forums for a little while, reading some stuff...
Now we have been offered the job to make a movie, a school project.

Only the real problem is... we need a camera.
My dad has a camcorder (Sony) but I think it's broken down.
We have a digital camera, good quality (800x600) looks fine, I am told.
Though it's a problem when shooting, because there's onyl 10 minutes of storage on it,
and I think the real film material we will use will be, let's say, 1 or 2 minutes?

I live in Holland and I am 16 years old, I haven't got a big budget.
No I will not buy a camera I think, unless it's a very cheap one, because I'd love to
shoot some stuff finally...

Any one with ideas?

Do you think it's a good idea to shoot with a DV camera with a 64 mb flash card?
Should I buy a camcorder? I will look for prizes in a minute.

P.S. I don't know if this is the good place to post this matter, but I couldn't find any other place with threadds showing some resemblance with mine.

Thanks in advance,

Bob :) aka Gotan

Btw, I would like to see some post regarding a cheap videocamera which is good for making a small movie or shooting some nice stuff, or vacation, ro whatever.. as long as it has enough features/functions to use, and good for shooting some stuff.
Must be connectable on my PC (won't be a problem I think) for editing and stuff.

Thanks in advance guys, will check back later!

Gotan

:welcome: thanks for posting!

I guess we would need to know how much you are ready to spend for a camcorder. Also, what sort of equipment do you have for editing the video once it's in your PC?
Is this something you want to grow and continue doing or is this just a one time thing?

I bought a Panasonic GS-120 with a load of accessories for about $850US.

Well i've seen one for 350 Euro's. That's a Sony Digital-8 Camcorder..
I'm confident I can get it a lot cheaper, seeing that company is a quite expensive one.

Gotan

I'm really interested in 150-200 euro's, but I only want first hand camera's.
350 is more than I can bear, it's more than enough for me!

Gotan

thanks for replying btw cootdog

job to make a movie, a school project. Only the real problem is... we need a camera.

Ask to borrow the school's camera, for a school project.

My dad has a camcorder (Sony) but I think it's broken down.

Test it.

We have a digital camera, good quality (800x600) looks fine, I am told.
Though it's a problem when shooting, because there's onyl 10 minutes of storage on it,
and I think the real film material we will use will be, let's say, 1 or 2 minutes?

You are talking about a camera that stores the video on a memory card, and not tape, right? If so...

To capture the 10 mins of video, you'll end up with a teeny-sized image. 180x120, or similar. You can capture in larger sizes, but the duration, the resolution and the frame-per-second will take a huge dive.

Do you think it's a good idea to shoot with a DV camera with a 64 mb flash card?

This depends what you mean.

Some DV cameras (like many Sony's) record on mini-DV tape... but have an optional memory stick to record to. The images recoreded to mini-DV tape are good. The images recorded to memory stick not so good.

If you are talking about a DV camera whose only recording ability is onto the 64mb stick... no way.

but I only want first hand camera's.

Beggars can't be choosers, my friend.

:cool:

Ok, thanks for the reply Steve..

Now I will walk through your post..

First of all, we only have DV camera's on school, not necesarry. We can't use them, I'm afraid. They're only for school purposes in lessons, not outside.

My dad told the camcorder was broken down.

The DV camera is a very good one, it doesn't shoot @ 180x120, but 800x600. Good quality by the way, but I don't think it's a real good idea to use it, seeing a camcorder has better quality, and can store more material.

First-hand camcorders because I don't want the thing to be broken down in no-time, with no guarantees on the product. Don't want to pick it up either, and drive a whole day for such a thing. Gonna buy a first-hand in a good shop.

So thanks for the tips.

Think I will buy a cheap camcorder as long as it has features for shooting some shorts or other.

I would like to see some reply's with recommendations on some cheap but good (enough) camcorders.

Thanks a lot!

Gotan..

A possibility...

gotan said:
Ok, thanks for the reply Steve..

Now I will walk through your post..

First of all, we only have DV camera's on school, not necesarry. We can't use them, I'm afraid. They're only for school purposes in lessons, not outside.

My dad told the camcorder was broken down.

The DV camera is a very good one, it doesn't shoot @ 180x120, but 800x600. Good quality by the way, but I don't think it's a real good idea to use it, seeing a camcorder has better quality, and can store more material.

First-hand camcorders because I don't want the thing to be broken down in no-time, with no guarantees on the product. Don't want to pick it up either, and drive a whole day for such a thing. Gonna buy a first-hand in a good shop.

So thanks for the tips.

Think I will buy a cheap camcorder as long as it has features for shooting some shorts or other.

I would like to see some reply's with recommendations on some cheap but good (enough) camcorders.

Thanks a lot!

Gotan..

You might want to take a look on eBay... Lots of really CHEAP camcorders there that would be excellent to start out with... The shipping to your country might be a little on the steep side but you should be able to find a cheap camera to start out with... There are even some new cameras with warranties that you can get really cheap too...

Having said that...

Not quite sure what type of video you have in your country... Is it Pal or NTSC? Whichever it is, make sure you get a camcorder that matches what it is in your country. If you do use eBay, make sure you buy from a Power Seller with outstanding feedback...

filmy

No just a fotocamera with video-functions (and good ones)... I will look for a small DV camera like the one you just told me about.. saw one second-hand for 60 euro's.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Grtz Gotan :)

Back