Who owns a Home Theatre System?

I been pricing DLP projectors lately. My wife wants to get a HDTV when we move. I told her we have a HD monitor but its 4:3. I payed like 400 bucks for it and its really cool.. I use my S-video and go online on it.. its 32 inches.

But she saw a cheapy sanyo 51 inch HDTV at walmart. I told her I dont think its 1080i and would look nice but isnt a true HDTV.

Then I told her that at Best Buys they have a 800x600 projector for 900 bucks. wich would be about 3 hundred bucks cheaper then the LCD TV she wants.

We're not rich but its gotten to the point where I want to build a real Home Theatre.. even if its lower end. The DLP was like 25k just 3 years ago and now they've come down to under 2k. This one supports 16:9 but isnt really 1080i but looks good at 12 feet diagonal.

The screen is like 250 bucks for a 12 footer.

I want to convert a bedroom into a complete theatre. Mount the screen.. get some fabric from Walmart and pleet them and drape then on the side and above and below the screen.. maybe put some nice wooden molding around the screen.. then paint the other walls to match the curtains. Use some foil and place them over the windows then maybe drape some curtains over them to match the screen area.

We were going to invest in some theatre seats but for now we have 2 older matching Futons we bought for our kids who now have new beds and used them for seating. Im thinking of building a platform for the first futon to have a stadium like seating over the other.

I may or may not invest in a cheaper 5.1 sound system but i am satisfied with my older 4 speaker stereo system I bought 15 years ago. I have an old Sony system that cranks up to 150 desipals.

Im pretty crafty so I might make some cool poster boxes with lights. maybe get some mylar and cut out the lettering in some Movie Posters and glue the mylar over the letters and have lighting behind them in the poster box with some rope light around the frame. I would buy one but they cost like 600 bucks.

Also.. no home theatre isnt complete without a Hotdog cart or a Popcorn Cart.

:D

is this a bit extreem?

Last edited:
my dad has a 64inch Hi Def big screen, 5.1 surround sound, Yamaha's BEST reciever(by best i mean the most expensive).

When i get my own place you better beleive one of the rooms is going to be a mini Theater, with projector and all... But for now the 64inch Hi Def will just have to do :)

Edit, i forgot to mention my dad owns his own business, and for like 5-6-7 years my mom got things she wanted(crafts and stuff for the house, decor style), and some things the whole family wanted(pool), and Dad never bought anything for him, so he decided one day he's getting something he wanted, and he's always been into Audio and Home Theater, so it seemed logical :)

rizien said:
my dad has a 64inch Hi Def big screen, 5.1 surround sound, Yamaha's BEST reciever(by best i mean the most expensive).

When i get my own place you better beleive one of the rooms is going to be a mini Theater, with projector and all... But for now the 64inch Hi Def will just have to do :)

Edit, i forgot to mention my dad owns his own business, and for like 5-6-7 years my mom got things she wanted(crafts and stuff for the house, decor style), and some things the whole family wanted(pool), and Dad never bought anything for him, so he decided one day he's getting something he wanted, and he's always been into Audio and Home Theater, so it seemed logical :)

that sounds like a nice system.

thing is.. i used to be into cars when I was younger, but now I dont have need for a fast muscle car or anything sporty. I pretty much has a basic lifestyle at home with my wife and kids. But When it comes to video or other electronics.. I want the best.. in this case I cant afford it and dont really want to go on credit. So I will start off with a lower end theatre.. then when the projectors come down alot in price, I will replace the one I got.. and maybe sell the one I got or give it to a friend.

TVs are just big bulky boxes and I think Projectors will be a thing of the future or flat panel TVs.

I would love to have a nice hidden system with hidden 5.1 speakers and make it simple to operate without having to have 4 remotes trying to controll 4 different boxes.

I think what would be neat is during christmas or Halloween is mounting your older projector outside and cast images on the side of your house.. heheh That would be cool.

Well, I just replaced an LCD projector bulb at work the other day. The replacement bulb cost $500!!!!! And it's just a standard LCD projector, nothing fancy and it was only about 2 or 3 years old, not even used everyday. I would check into the cost of replacement bulbs before deciding on a projector.

I recently read an article about the differences between DLP and LCD projectors. Naturally I can't remember where I saw the article (my brain just doesn't buffer info like it used to) but it was an interesting read and provided some good information about the pro/con of using DLP or LCD technology in home theaters.

Again, sorry I can't point to the article but a google search would probably find some good info on the two technologies.

when i get rich you better believe im gonna have some kind of crazy ass projector system with insanely comfortable chairs and strippers walking around my house naked.

You just better believe it....

CommanderGoat said:
Well, I just replaced an LCD projector bulb at work the other day. The replacement bulb cost $500!!!!! And it's just a standard LCD projector, nothing fancy and it was only about 2 or 3 years old, not even used everyday. I would check into the cost of replacement bulbs before deciding on a projector.

dude I checked.. they are coming down in price.. just under 200 bucks. 500 bucks? your company got ripped off :D

I guess it depends on the lum. the one Im looking at is like 1500.. the better ones are usually over 1700 and thats probubly what your system was. or something higher.

SPaulovich said:
I recently read an article about the differences between DLP and LCD projectors. Naturally I can't remember where I saw the article (my brain just doesn't buffer info like it used to) but it was an interesting read and provided some good information about the pro/con of using DLP or LCD technology in home theaters.

Again, sorry I can't point to the article but a google search would probably find some good info on the two technologies.

I think sony has a flash that tells you the difference. I think in a nutshell, how it works is this. The LCDs are thousands of tiney windows that open and shut.. when fully open they are black.. when fully shut they project white. the windows are connected by thin gold foil like a grid that seperates each window. the space of the foil is what creates the black pixle lines or the blind spots. the windows rotate 90 degrees open and shut. then depending on weather the system is a 1 chip or a 3 chip is where the quality of colors comes in. the 1 color chip is a rotating wheel with 3 colors on it.. like 3 pieces of pie on a wheel of RGB. it spins at a rate of like 10,000 RPMs. with a little lazer pulse light shooting through it. If you turn your head away from the screen you will see color bleeding.. the Ghosting effect of cheaper LCDs.

the newer DLP technology is like LCD but the windows overlap each other just slightly so there is less pixle lines. it doesnt have the ghosting affect with the single color wheel chip. so they dont really need a 3 color chip to look good. but they cost more.

I dont know about projectors but the new LCD HDTVs coming out are 100 times better then the older systems. they are becoming better then the plazma screens. and cheaper to make.. they are half the price and look as good if not better then plazmas.

One I saw was a 52 inch 1080i for like 2200 bucks. it was like looking through a window.

thats the future of Home Entertainment. I wouldnt be surprized if these TVs are like 700 bucks in 4 or 5 years.

You can even run a computer on them with good enough resolution to read fine print.

rizien said:
when i get rich you better believe im gonna have some kind of crazy ass projector system with insanely comfortable chairs and strippers walking around my house naked.

You just better believe it....

this is when we form a partnership and run a private club out of the basement of your estate home :D

:D

Back