best quicktime setting?

Just throwing this question out there for all you more technologically advanced than myself.

If I wanted to throw some trailers on the web, what would be the ideal (most efficient, without losing too much quality, without making the size too big) custom settings for Quicktime movies?

Please help a brotha out!

Erik

www.bottomunion.com

The following CoDecs for QT work pretty well.

They are also included by default in every basic installation of QT now, so you'll know for sure the viewer will have the CoDecs. (Unless they've never updated, that is)

Video:

Sorenson 3 or MP4

Audio:

Q-design 2

On Export set video size to half (360x240), then manually set a data Rate Limit from between 60 to 100. You may have to export a few times, playing with various settings to get a picture you can live with.

You should be able to have a QT file adequately presentable for the web. The finished file size ought to be within 3 to 5 mb per minute of video.

:)

MPEG 4 rocks!! Oh, well I'm an MPEG fanatic (mpegif.org woohoo!) I would say MPEG 4, for video and audio.

Here's the setting I use for my internet videos (you can see the quality here http://homepage.mac.com/directorlca/timelapse/iMovieTheater30.html )

This is just what I use, but play with your own too
320x240
bitrate: 368kbps
audio 48khz (mpeg4 audio sounds like CD audio basically)
2 channel, 128kpbs

so with those settings a video that's 1.5 minutes would be roughly 5MB. for 16x9 video, just change the res to 320x180 or whatever floats your boat. So. . . that's just what I use, you can increase the bitrate for higher qualiy, but that makes the files bigger too . . hope that helps!!

yeah, whats this MPEG 4 thing again? is it new? layer 4 .. has it always been there.

I remember someone saying something about it a month ago. do most of the new higher end cam corders have it or is it proprietary to one certain brand that only works with a certain software?

King Goldfish said:
yeah, whats this MPEG 4 thing again? is it new? layer 4 .. has it always been there.

Here's the really watered down version. Umm MPEG 4 is not layer 4. . . like MP3 (which is not MPEG3, there never was an MPEG 3) MP3 is simply MPEG-1 Layer 3. . . MPEG 1 is a pretty standard compression, good with CDs. . . then came MPEG2, which has a much higher quality video and is good for DVDs (obviously) and now MPEG 4, which is it's own compression. It's the next generation of the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG), and it's good for internet, high quality, really low file sizes. . . and yeah, that's the really basic stuff!

Back